Lister STW2

John Griffiths

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, John Griffiths said:

Will A Lister STW2 be powerful enough for a 50 ft narrowboat on the Severn or Trent.  Some have said 20 hp, some 28 hp ?.   Looking for a thumper but not much room on boat.  Any idea's please.

I think the answer to that relates to the skills and knowledge of the skipper. Remember the Thames barge rages use no power at all, just a pair or a single sweep. However the Watermen know the river like their back garden. I was more than happy with a nominal 35 bhp ish (probably more like 30) on a 54ft narrow boat on the Trent, Severn and the Thames in high water flows (just onto red boards). I would suggests passage planning and knowing when it is best not to make the passage is probably as important as engine power.

It will be fine providing you have a prop that can use the full engine power. Many boats seem to be fitted with egg whisk props that don't absorb enough power, meaning the engine runs noisily at high revs without giving enough grunt. Better too with a 3:1 gearbox, rather than the 2:1 often fitted, providing you have the room to swing the correspondingly larger prop required.

• Greenie 1

On 02/04/2022 at 13:35, John Griffiths said:

Will A Lister STW2 be powerful enough for a 50 ft narrowboat on the Severn or Trent.  Some have said 20 hp, some 28 hp ?.   Looking for a thumper but not much room on boat.  Any idea's please.

Have a look at Sabb or Bukh.