If you were having a new boat built...

Featured Posts

Would you bother installing a Webasto diesel central heating system with the way diesel prices are going, plus the intention to completely can diesel, anyway, in the next 10 years? Is it worth the cost of the unit/fitting costs? 

Perhaps something more like the cheap 'Chinese' diesel blow heaters which seem relatively easy to fit and you can get at around £120 on Amazon is a better alternative? With an additional (pipsqueak) wood burner in the back cabin/Bedroom?

11 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

Would you bother installing a Webasto diesel central heating system with the way diesel prices are going, plus the intention to completely can diesel, anyway, in the next 10 years? Is it worth the cost of the unit/fitting costs? 

Perhaps something more like the cheap 'Chinese' diesel blow heaters which seem relatively easy to fit and you can get at around £120 on Amazon is a better alternative? With an additional (pipsqueak) wood burner in the back cabin/Bedroom?

Other than a stove at each end of the boat what is your option. An LPG system? - cost of that is also rising. 

The bottom line is ALL forms of energy are increasing in cost.

We are still burning coal which our supplier bought last year so that hasn't hiked in cost just yet, but I'm expecting it will do when I get some more in the Autumn for next winter.

No burning of fossil fuels, so diesel, gas and coal (and coal or petroleum based smokeless fuels) are out. So is wood, as it is a major contributor to particulates in the atmosphere.

Better make sure your new boat has space for a huuuuuge stack of batteries, and hope that electric charging points are rolled out across the network.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

No burning of fossil fuels, so diesel, gas and coal (and coal or petroleum based smokeless fuels) are out. So is wood, as it is a major contributor to particulates in the atmosphere.

Better make sure your new boat has space for a huuuuuge stack of batteries, and hope that electric charging points are rolled out across the network.

Whilst they can price me out of diesel, they'll have to literally bring the army in to carry me off my boat before I'll remove my woodburner. Never gonna happen. 

59 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

Would you bother installing a Webasto diesel central heating system with the way diesel prices are going, plus the intention to completely can diesel, anyway, in the next 10 years?

Where did you get that impression?

AFAIK, there is no timescale announced for the complete cessation of diesel as a fuel, and the way these things work, we will still be using it and squabbling about when to ban it in another 30 years I predict.

I don't live on my boat but spend 6-7 months a year on it; split between winter and summer.

The 70' boat has no central heating, just a Refleks stove in the front and a Hobbit in the boatman's cabin.

We (in our late 60s) get along fine, I honestly think radiators are not needed in a boat and the various lorry diesel heaters are just too much trouble. 

There was central heating in a shared ownership boat which we almost never used over the 11 years of our ownership.

Just now, MtB said:

Where did you get that impression?

AFAIK, there is no timescale announced for the complete cessation of diesel as a fuel, and the way these things work, we will still be using it and squabbling about when to ban it in another 30 years I predict.

The intention is already in what they're doing with the manipulation of prices... And it is manipulation/creation of inflated prices... But trying not to get political here! 

I'm more interested in if people think it's worth forfeiting the likes of Webasto in a new build based on the fact that the majority of us plebs are unlikely to be running it in the near future if costs really do continue escalating way out of control. I can't see prices going back down? 

1 minute ago, lewisericeric said:

The intention is already in what they're doing with the manipulation of prices... And it is manipulation/creation of inflated prices... But trying not to get political here! 

I'm more interested in if people think it's worth forfeiting the likes of Webasto in a new build based on the fact that the majority of us plebs are unlikely to be running it in the near future if costs really do continue escalating way out of control. I can't see prices going back down? 

Yes, and not just on grounds of cost. Buy some jumpers for early mornings, you will be fine the rest of the time!

Just now, frahkn said:

Yes, and not just on grounds of cost. Buy some jumpers for early mornings, you will be fine the rest of the time!

Haha, love it. I do like it like the tropics and adequate heating for potential damp/condensation elimination is always at the forefront of my mind too. (Yes, yes, open windows, I know, I know).

Seriously considering going down the fan/hot air diesel system for the back cabin as well as a miniature wood burner - at least I'll then have options - and the hot air diesel systems seem to be more economical than a full wet Webasto system

12 minutes ago, lewisericeric said:

Haha, love it. I do like it like the tropics and adequate heating for potential damp/condensation elimination is always at the forefront of my mind too. (Yes, yes, open windows, I know, I know).

Seriously considering going down the fan/hot air diesel system for the back cabin as well as a miniature wood burner - at least I'll then have options - and the hot air diesel systems seem to be more economical than a full wet Webasto system

Sorry but I was being entirely serious - honestly.

• Love 1