BSS Review

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Interesting that Mike above even got it wrong initially and he's a certified gas plumber!

I'd also point out gas work is laden with traps, one of which you too have fallen into. Your ScrewFix link to a cooker hose IS definitely unsuitable for use in a boat, but can you spot why?!

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd also point out gas work is laden with traps, one of which you too have fallen into. Your ScrewFix link to a cooker hose IS definitely unsuitable for use in a boat, but can you spot why?!

No! (but it was a random flex tail) Please do tell.

Edited by Slow and Steady

16 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

No! (but it was a random flex tail) Please do tell.

The cooker hose in your link is for natural gas only. For a bote, one needs to buy an LPG hose which will a red line marked along the length of it, or use a universal yellow cooker hose. E.G:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cookerflex-bayonet-lpg-cooker-hose-12-5mm-x-1250mm/5168j

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

The cooker hose in your link is for natural gas only. For a bote, one needs to buy an LPG hose which will a red line marked along the length of it, or use a universal yellow cooker hose. E.G:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cookerflex-bayonet-lpg-cooker-hose-12-5mm-x-1250mm/5168j

Good point. It was the first flexi tail I found to illustrate the point of these things being fine v solid connection. Must try harder!

On 13/03/2022 at 08:07, haggis said:

That seems a bit strange to me too! The hose behind a cooker which connects the cooker to the gas supply to my mind needs to be flexible to allow for the cooker to be moved for cleaning etc.  I know  the gas cookers at home and on both boats have flexible hose .

It is a large coil, maybe two coils,, of copper pipe, so to some extent it flexes, in as much as if the cooker is pulled out it comes with it.

This is how fixed cookers on boats are supposed to be fitted according to the manufacturer of the cooker, ie  not with  armoured hose. I did not make the ru!es. The manufacturer wrote the installation instructions, presumably the original fitter did not read them. Anyway, after twenty years I would think a replacement would be a good plan.

I don't remove the cooker for cleaning, in theory nothing can get in to the space.

I would think most domestic cookers would be accessible for cleaning, sort of independent of the worktop and base.

Edited by LadyG