Book For Someone Fitting Out A Narrowboat?

Featured Posts

I know someone who is fitting out a new narrowboat, or at least will be once it’s finally delivered (many delays due to Covid, etc.) I’d thought of buying him a copy of “Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual: Repair and Improve Your Boat’s Essential Systems” by Nigel Calder. I haven’t seen the book myself* so I’m not sure how useful it would be, especially as the boat he’s getting is a serial hybrid. I think it’ll be coming with electric engine installed but I don’t know whether the generator will be and I don’t think the solar panels will be. Any thoughts as to whether this book could still be of use or interest? Any other recommendations?

* OK, even if I had seen a copy firsthand it wouldn’t mean much to me. He on the contrary is very handy. 

It's rather dated now, but still a useful guide for general advice on woodworking, plumbing and painting etc. But on the electrical side technology has moved on.

I doubt if there are enough people fitting out boats themselves to make an updated version commercially viable, but there is plenty of advice available online. You just need to find the good stuff and sort it from the bad!

I would suggest if he is installing a Hybrid system he is going to require quite a good technical knowledge before he starts, I doubt there are many DIY books on it. He is also going to need a working knowledge of the RCD/R**