our new home

kookie

Featured Posts

Finally got around to taking a pic. This is our new home, 'spirit of dusty' . We moved on around 5 weeks ago. Moored at Sawley.

We need to have a rudder guague fitted, and a bow thruster. Its a bit scarey when its windy. Apologies to everyone we held up the first time we took her out, even the impatient people who were tooting their horns at us. :P

If you see us, please wave, and please be patient.

05112007193.jpg

Looks nice Kookie.

Its nice to see some barges on the site.

Do you mean a rudder angle indicator fitted so you can see the position of the rudder when you

are steering with the wheel inside ???

Edited by NB Willawaw

Looks nice Kookie.

Its nice to see some barges on the site.

Do you mean a rudder angle indicator fitted so you can see the position of the rudder when you

are steering with the wheel inside ???

yes, we have no idea where it is, something about with it being hydraulic. We marked the wheel when the rudder was straight, but after a little while, and a few manoevers, it had drifted a full half turn, and trying to get back into Sawley was a nightmare.

Finally got around to taking a pic. This is our new home, 'spirit of dusty' . We moved on around 5 weeks ago. Moored at Sawley.We need to have a rudder guague fitted, and a bow thruster. Its a bit scarey when its windy. Apologies to everyone we held up the first time we took her out, even the impatient people who were tooting their horns at us. :P If you see us, please wave, and please be patient.05112007193.jpg
Wow, she looks lovely Kookie, who built her ?
Edited by Lesd

yes, we have no idea where it is, something about with it being hydraulic. We marked the wheel when the rudder was straight, but after a little while, and a few manoevers, it had drifted a full half turn, and trying to get back into Sawley was a nightmare.

If it's doing that it usually needs bleeding, there will be air in the system.

But also investigate for fluid leaks!

If it's doing that it usually needs bleeding, there will be air in the system.But also investigate for fluid leaks!
Thank you,erm...sorry, you know what I'm going to ask, how do you do that, is it esy, and will little old me be able to do that? :P
2007195000.jpgTry this..
Thank you .

Air will get into any fluid system and there should be bleed points fitted to the steering system probably in the highest place. Undo the bleed point until it is loose and let the air out until fluid runs. Tighten back up and try again. It might take several attemps.

If I was thinking of living afloat, I'd certainly consider a boat similar to yours......looks just the thing.

A rudder position indicator is a good idea. Couple of years ago, we came across a barge adrift and Roy towed it the short way back to Kirkstead bridge. It pushed him into the bank, and nearly crushed his boat, so I tied mine to the back and acted as an 'anchor'. We discovered (well Roy actually, as he crawles around looking straight away) that the screw holding the key in, on the arm that turns the rudder had come loose, letting the key drop out. The rudder had turned around, and was hitting the prop. Well rubbing against it, hence causing the noise. No damage and easily fixed, but a rudder position gauge would warn of this, or any other hydraulic, or linkage failure.

Finally got around to taking a pic. This is our new home, 'spirit of dusty' . We moved on around 5 weeks ago. Moored at Sawley.

We need to have a rudder guague fitted, and a bow thruster. Its a bit scarey when its windy. Apologies to everyone we held up the first time we took her out, even the impatient people who were tooting their horns at us. :P

05112007193.jpg

We dont want your type here!!! GRRRR.... :D

I think it looks a smashing vessel Kookie. There are plenty of 'Rudder Tell Tails' on the market as Williwaw says, I have one on my old tub which is all part of my Cetrek Autohelm system....a bit dated these days but still going strong and a nice bit of kit to have if you ever do any extended tidal passages.

We need to have a rudder guague fitted, and a bow thruster. Its a bit scarey when its windy. Apologies to everyone we held up the first time we took her out, even the impatient people who were tooting their horns at us. :rolleyes:

05112007193.jpg

Any more pics? Who was the builder (or have you already said?) That back cabin looks big - she looks a bit like one of Gary's.

Who's going to fit the BT for you? Presumably you need the tunnel fitted too? Get it installed as far forward as possible while still making sure it's at least 1ft underwater. The other thing to bear in mind is that it should either have a weedhatch or if that's not possible then the prop should be within arms reach inside the tunnel. If that means mounting the motor to one side that's ok as it results in very little difference in terms of power imbalance. You'll probably need at least a 95kgf thruster for that barge.

Edited by blackrose

Any more pics? Who was the builder (or have you already said?) That back cabin looks big - she looks a bit like one of Gary's.

Who's going to fit the BT for you? Presumably you need the tunnel fitted too? Get it installed as far forward as possible while still making sure it's at least 1ft underwater. The other thing to bear in mind is that it should either have a weedhatch or if that's not possible then the prop should be within arms reach inside the tunnel. If that means mounting the motor to one side that's ok as it results in very little difference in terms of power imbalance.

Thanks.

SWD steelcraft built it. The back cabin is huge, a double bed fits nicely with space to walk all round, and an ensuite.