Carbon Monoxide and.....

Bones

Featured Posts

I have been trying to find out why cookers release CO, and although I have searched, I haven't found anything specific and wondered if you could all satisfy my curiosity.
Here's a quote from Wikipedia regarding propane:

Propane undergoes combustion reactions in a similar fashion to other alkanes. In the presence of excess oxygen, propane burns to form water and carbon dioxide.

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O + heat

When not enough oxygen is present for complete combustion, propane burns to form water and carbon monoxide.

2C3H8 + 7O2 → 6CO + 8H2O + heat

Thus it appears to be only when there is insufficient oxygen that CO is formed in a propane burning cooker.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

so carbon monoxide testers in the kitchen will register low levels of CO when the cooker is in use?

I would say "Yep!" Just ensure you follow the instructions for the particular model (whilst I've never looked there may one specific for kitchens?) and you'll be fine.

I would say "Yep!" Just ensure you follow the instructions for the particular model (whilst I've never looked there may one specific for kitchens?) and you'll be fine.
Good. That is what I thought, but I couldn't work out why... thanks for the calculations Anhar.
Not in a properly ventilated situation.
Hmmm..... mine is.

Hi Bones

All gas flames should be blue if you have any yellow this indicates incomplete combustion, it is also a guide that CO is being produced.

If you have yellow flames (full or partial) then the burner requires cleaning and/or maintenance.

Soft brush and vacuum cleaner will probably do it..

so carbon monoxide testers in the kitchen will register low levels of CO when the cooker is in use?

Ours has done ever since the detector and the cooker were new. Only low levels, but they register. Ventilation is OTT on our boat.

If we are to believe the detector, then yes it is true. We find it is more noticable when using the grill, but is still present with the rings too. Promise I won't rant about "room sealed" nonsense.......

Edited by Guest