Brave newbie -- or just crazy?

IanD

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

It's a difficult one isn't it, ideally people should know what to do but then again sometimes the joy is in "learning on the job", yes there are dangers but it is a rare occurrence when someone gets seriously hurt.

I think all any of us can do is be tolerant of newbys, offer help if we can or if it is asked for and accept that sometimes that help offered with all good grace isn't always wanted and overall be tolerant that some peeps throw themselves into research and geekery and some jump on a boat and "go for it"

On a personal point canal boating is hardly the most dangerous or reckless thing I have ever done but I still remember fondly that first week, all the cock ups, the first lock, the first lift bridge/first tunnel/first time being told off for jumping a lock queue and so on, it was genuinely part of the joy of it.

I'd agree that learning by trial and error on a steel narrowboat in narrow locks isn't too bad, there's not much space for banging around and welded steel hulls are pretty robust even if you lose a few breakables -- so long as you don't get hung up on the cill, which I've just realised I never mentioned to them because they were going up... 😞

Doing the same on wide fast-filling L&L staircase locks (self-operated not manned) in a fibreglass cruiser is a different kettle of fish entirely...

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

It was perhaps a different type from those used by CanalTime, as they had a large fixed double bed towards the bows.

Which at least makes them more difficult for novices to sink by filling the well deck or through open bow doors...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Which at least makes them more difficult for novices to sink by filling the well deck or through open bow doors...

You know, thathad never occurred to me. I wonder if the firm, knowing that many of their crews would be inexperienced, specified that design fature as a safety precaution.

The earlier SW Durham CanalTine boats had no open well deck at all. The later model had a tiny one. I don't know why the change came about.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Horrible boats. We had a SW Durham on the hire fleet, it was rubbish, fit out like a cheap caravan. Stupid make up bed arrangement. I got tired of trying to get warped cupboard doors to fit.

This one looks to have been refitted

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

You know, thathad never occurred to me. I wonder if the firm, knowing that many of their crews would be inexperienced, specified that design fature as a safety precaution.

The earlier SW Durham CanalTine boats had no open well deack at all. The later model had a tiny one. I don't know why the change came about.

I think so.

Still fondly remember the two foreign sounding newbies in a newly purchased Tupperware who overnighted on our marina before heading to London to live/work. Turned right into marina, right to go up marina, right into spare berth. Next day pushed back off berth, turned right back down the marina then 'left hand down'. Nothing happened. Turns out previous owner had been at the steering linkage and had reconnected it at extreme end of its travel. Much head scratching amongst locals trying to help them on their way.