Electrical Installation

Featured Posts

Daniel.

I have removed and replaced the lead on our Dyson, it took about five minutes.

Daniel are you under the impression that because a label says "No user replaceable parts" or similar you are not allowed to touch it. If so, then that is absolute rubbish, there is no such law or regulation, but if enough people go around pedalling this trash we will inevitably get one.

Where does it come from.

Daniel.

Daniel are you under the impression that because a label says "No user  replaceable parts" or similar you are not allowed to touch it.  If so, then that is absolute rubbish, there is no such law or regulation, but if enough people go around pedalling this trash we will inevitably get one.

Where does it come from.

I used to work with equipment we bought in bulk from Italy when the Italian arm of the business closed down, it was identical to the UK and US spec equipment except for an extra small epoxy encapsulated board in the base of the machine puzzled by this hidden extra we started to ask questions of the Japanese manufacturers. Who explained that in certain markets they enforced the design life of their equipment by the inclusion of a count down timer, this started ticking at the time the equipment was commissioned and at a preset time in the future the equipment would become inoperable. Apparently this was part of the sales contract and the customers were aware of it. We were given a patch to defeat it for the UK market but if it actually could defeat the hardware I always had my doubts, the customers will be finding out fairly soon though!

Gary

Ah but which model?

I took my old DC01 to bits easily, but I am not sure I would make much impact on my latest one.

Is this trend to using "tamperproof" screws and special tools to assemble things put up by the H&SE mafia to "protect us from ourselves"?

Ah but which model?

Its the DC04 (later version of the DC01)

- There are not screws, it clips on and then cannot be removed in one peice.

- Its the same with a lot of things that are "sealed for life"

Daniel

I used to work with equipment we bought in bulk from Italy when the Italian arm of the business closed down, it was identical to the UK and US spec equipment except for an extra small epoxy encapsulated board in the base of the machine puzzled by this hidden extra we started to ask questions of the Japanese manufacturers. Who explained that in certain markets they enforced the design life of their equipment by the inclusion of a count down timer, this started ticking at the time the equipment was commissioned and at a preset time in the future the equipment would become inoperable. Apparently this was part of the sales contract and the customers were aware of it. We were given a patch to defeat it for the UK market but if it actually could defeat the hardware I always had my doubts, the customers will be finding out fairly soon though!

Gary

Didn't I read a piece about that a year or two ago concerning burglar alarms?

IIRC for a £200 call out fee the techie came out and removed the offending timer.

Ah but which model?

I took my old DC01 to bits easily, but I am not sure I would make much impact on my latest one.

Is this trend to using "tamperproof" screws and special tools to assemble things put up by the H&SE mafia to "protect us from ourselves"?

"TORQ" screw drivers are quite common. If you arte DIY oriented obtaining these shouldn't be a problem.

Daniel.

I am now in my 61st year, if I had so much knowledge about Dyson vacuum cleaners I would certainly not admit to it, as I recall you are a little younger than me.

Lapsing reluctantly into the modern vernacular. "Get a life"

Edited by John Orentas

I was once offered the opportunity to borrow a brand new Dyson Vacuum Cleaner for a few days whilst my neighbour's cleaner was on holiday. It was awfull, not only did it not work any better than my ancient Electrolux, it was made of cheap moulded plastic held together with lugs rather than screws. in two days the drive belt broke and the hand operated suction control fell off. I have never seen such expensive rubbish in my life. What's more it didn't have a rubish bag so you had to waggle the whole damned thing over the dustbin to remove the dirt, whose bright idea was that?

I was once offered the opportunity to borrow a brand new Dyson Vacuum Cleaner for a few days whilst my neighbour's cleaner was on holiday. It was awfull, not only did it not work any better than my ancient Electrolux, it was made of cheap moulded plastic held together with lugs rather than screws. in two days the drive belt broke and the hand operated suction control fell off. I have never seen such expensive rubbish in my life. What's more it didn't have a rubish bag so you had to waggle the whole damned thing over the dustbin to remove the dirt, whose bright idea was that?

That was DYSON's bright idea and made him personally £100,000,000.

The Lexan (clear plastic) container does actually lift away from the cleaner.

All the major components were injection molded to a very high standard. When you are paying £80,000 - £100,000 for one mold you dont get crap. On one occasion I threw away over £300,000 worth of Lexan moldings in one week. Towards the end some previously unacceptable moldings were used but only ones that were internal.

Even though I wouldn't have a DYSON if you paid me it was still an amazing piece of design engineering.