Another dieselly Lister

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Replaced the leakoff which seemed to have stopped the rising oil level for a fortnight.

Then today it dropped about four litres of diesel into the sump, engine overheated and stopped. Pumped oil out, put 5 litres in and limped on to Stoke where the level had gone up by another three litres in two hours.

Can't see the leakoff having fallen to bits so soon or deposited so much in. 

Likely to be the lift pump gone? I've got a Lister expert coming Monday but it'd be good to look as if I've got a vague clue.

Could be a loose bleed screw on an injection pump or a loose element retaining screw on the pump. I suppose it could also be a worn pump leaking fuel out of the cam follower. Have you looked inside the pushrod/pump cover with the engine running?

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Could be a loose bleed screw on an injection pump or a loose element retaining screw on the pump. I suppose it could also be a worn pump leaking fuel out of the cam follower. Have you looked inside the pushrod/pump cover with the engine running?

To be honest no,  I'm no longer flexible enough to go ferreting around in the engine bay. I had a look under the rocker box covers and couldn't spot anything. I think I'd better wait for the man who knows about these things. Old boat, old engine, old boater thinking about giving up more and more!

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I had a look under the rocker box covers and couldn't spot anything.

The leak will be under the side covers. Given the rate at which the leak is happening I would have thought you might be able to see where the diesel is coming out with the engine running, although you may need to be a bit of a contortionist to do so!

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The leak will be under the side covers. Given the rate at which the leak is happening I would have thought you might be able to see where the diesel is coming out with the engine running, although you may need to be a bit of a contortionist to do so!

I no longer contort, that's the problem, and nor does my original engineer who is older than me. I'll just sit here and wait for the man... 

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The other place could be the cap on the injector loose, or as I had on a boat the other day was the rubber plug that a lot of the injector caps had fitted. This should be a taper rubber plug but with age they harden off and leak.