Electric Advice

Featured Posts

Not exactly boat related but I've always found this forum to be full of knowledge. 

I recently replaced the motor in my Miele C3 powerline vacuum cleaner. When I turn it on, it builds to full power but when it gets there, it loses power like it's been turned off. Just before it stops it builds to full power before losing it again, then builds again and so on.

It's as though the current needs regulating. What could be the problem and what part would I need?

1 hour ago, estima said:

Not exactly boat related but I've always found this forum to be full of knowledge. 

I recently replaced the motor in my Miele C3 powerline vacuum cleaner. When I turn it on, it builds to full power but when it gets there, it loses power like it's been turned off. Just before it stops it builds to full power before losing it again, then builds again and so on.

It's as though the current needs regulating. What could be the problem and what part would I need?

If this is relatively modern I would not surprise me if it uses a permanent magnet motor and if so it probably gets fed pulses from an electronic control box. If so I would suspect the box is having a hissy fit.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

at home?  running off an inverter on the boat?

who did the "replacement" and why ?

go on, gie us a klew !!

Apologies. This is at home. I did the replacement as once you've disassembled the cleaner, the motor just clips into the switch. 

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If this is anything like the Dyson, it seems to happen if the filter's blocked.

what a shame when someone comes up with a simple explanation.

as a workmate (an automation and instrumentation engineer) used to say - "if all else fails, read the manual".

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If this is anything like the Dyson, it seems to happen if the filter's blocked.

Even with clean filters it's amazing how much dust as accumulates elsewhere in the machine. In the absence of  a compressed air supply we use an aerosol air duster to get muck out of the crevices.

26 minutes ago, pearley said:

Even with clean filters it's amazing how much dust as accumulates elsewhere in the machine. In the absence of  a compressed air supply we use an aerosol air duster to get muck out of the crevices.

I disassembled the entire machine, blew out all the dust with a dog blaster and put a fresh motor in.

On 18/04/2021 at 09:44, Murflynn said:

what a shame when someone comes up with a simple explanation.

as a workmate (an automation and instrumentation engineer) used to say - "if all else fails, read the manual".

Where I worked it was usually abbreviated to 'RTFM' ?