Can I leave my inverter on all the time

Porcupine

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Bee said:

The clever people on here who understand electricity might suggest a way of running the router on a cordless drill battery.  I don't know what a really cheap inverter costs but the really basic ones were about £30 the last time I bought one and a couple of crocodile clips and a dedicated small car battery might work too.

Even if you have a dedicated battery for the router, you still have to recharge it!

16 hours ago, Porcupine said:

Hi there - I am thinking of using my 240 router on my inverter all the time. Some people say this is ok, some say it’ll drain my batteries. Are inverters very efficient now so leaving it on is fine? Or is that very wasteful? Thanks, Matt. 

Pretty sure this is what I bought in November to run my Huawei 310s router. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GYLC229/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plug is 5.5mm external diameter and 2.1mm internal diameter, which seems to be quite a common plug size. A bit of googling and/or measuring should confirm that it is the correct one for your router.

5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Pretty sure this is what I bought in November to run my Huawei 310s router. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GYLC229/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plug is 5.5mm external diameter and 2.1mm internal diameter, which seems to be quite a common plug size. A bit of googling and/or measuring should confirm that it is the correct one for your router.

Another thing to watch out for with barrel plugs is if the gadget socket is expecting the centre pin to be positive, or negative and if the supply plug is set up to match. Positive centre is much more common, but there are exceptions as the polarity isn't actually standardised. A quick way to instantly release the magic smoke if you get it wrong. ?