Width

dacaB

Featured Posts

The overall width of a narrow boat is 6' 10" ish, OK. I am searching for inches on my 'plan'..........so, what is the planning width of the interior at floor level , at (worktop height), and at gunnel height. I doubt that the obvious 6' figure is very accurate <_<

There doesn't seem to be much point in placing 'things' on the plan if they will not fit in reality. :o

Thanks in advance. :o

The overall width of a narrow boat is 6' 10" ish, OK. I am searching for inches on my 'plan'..........so, what is the planning width of the interior at floor level , at (worktop height), and at gunnel height. I doubt that the obvious 6' figure is very accurate <_<

There doesn't seem to be much point in placing 'things' on the plan if they will not fit in reality. :o

There will not be a fixed internal width. It depends on the thickness of the insulation and lining material and on the width of the gunwhale.

Arthur

And there you have a common problem, nearly every boat is different if you know who's going to build it then they can give you a good idea but before you make a decision on builder it can be a bit hit and miss.

As has been said, it will vary from boat to boat.

If you are doing a basic plan then the actual dimension will not matter, I just used, for example, two feet square boxes for the kitchen galley.

I am having it built so will not have the hassle of making it all fit in. :o

Not very helpful sorry but why are you searching for inches in the width. (Ribald comments not required <_< )

Thanks all, took advice and talked to a chap called Mike at L&J, he was very helpful and generous with his time. He gave me a working width and lengths ( he was on the other end of a phone line Mr B :o ) that included well/fore deck, cabin and rear deck.

It turns out my guestimations were surprisingly accurate <_<

Remember also the hull sides are rarely parallel, mine has a good 1.5" 'lean out' on each side. (Measured at gunwhale level).

Hi Daca.

Are we to understand you need this information to enable you to carry out some form of self fit-out.. If so a very good thing to do when you have your boat is to make an accurate boat side template, incorporating the cabin tumble home and all other detail including a true vertical datum.

Armed with this you can confidently build furnishings and any other stuff away from the boat and to sure they will fit neatly into place without further adjustment /trimming /hacking.

Hi Daca.

Are we to understand you need this information to enable you to carry out some form of self fit-out.. If so a very good thing to do when you have your boat is to make an accurate boat side template, incorporating the cabin tumble home and all other detail including a true vertical datum.

Armed with this you can confidently build furnishings and any other stuff away from the boat and to sure they will fit neatly into place without further adjustment /trimming /hacking.

To that advice. I would add - make prolific use of cardboard templates for all the furniture, and purchase a Builder's Square.

When I re-fitted my boat I discovered that with tumble home and swims, there isn't a right angle present and designing furniture to fit requires carefull measurement before you commence any work. Cardboard templates can be made easily on site, and taken home where the timber panels can be fabricated in your workshop. If the templates have been made carefully the timber panels will require only minimal adjustment before they fit perfectly.

Spriit levels and plumb lines are useless on a boat, which is where the builder's Square comes into play, If all the verticals are at right angles to the floor, horizontals can be measured with a straight edge. This sometimes requires some ingenuity if you are working alone, 56lb weights and timber packing will help hold the square stedy whilst measuring the horizontals.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Edited by David Schweizer