Roof collar plinth

Featured Posts

You can make your own with P38 polyester body filler. Place asheet of polythene over the fluepipe hole in the roof, cut a hole in it to match the roofs hole. Ladle onto the polythene sheet a wideish wall of the filler the dimension of the perifery of the collar. You can place another sheet of poly with a hole in it on top of the filler if you don't want the filler to stick to the bottom of the collar. Press the collar down into place hardish at the angle and position of your desire. When cured, trim cut grind off excess filler which has oozed out, on the roof and inside the boat. You should now have a lump of filler wedge to suit, and once the polythene sheets are removed the usual sealant can be used between collar and filler block and filler block and roof. Work fast though as the filler hardens fairly quickly. A job for the summer really but a mild day in winter should be ok as body filler is much more tollerant of the cold than liquid polyester resin.

Midland Chandlers used to do angled collars, my boat has one bought about 8 years ago.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

You can make your own with P38 polyester body filler. Place asheet of polythene over the fluepipe hole in the roof, cut a hole in it to match the roofs hole. Ladle onto the polythene sheet a wideish wall of the filler the dimension of the perifery of the collar. You can place another sheet of poly with a hole in it on top of the filler if you don't want the filler to stick to the bottom of the collar. Press the collar down into place hardish at the angle and position of your desire. When cured, trim cut grind off excess filler which has oozed out, on the roof and inside the boat. You should now have a lump of filler wedge to suit, and once the polythene sheets are removed the usual sealant can be used between collar and filler block and filler block and roof. Work fast though as the filler hardens fairly quickly. A job for the summer really but a mild day in winter should be ok as body filler is much more tollerant of the cold than liquid polyester resin.

Midland Chandlers used to do angled collars, my boat has one bought about 8 years ago.

Ok, thanks for your reply! I may on day have a go at making one! Looks like I’ll have to reposition current one!

a good business opportunity to sell them at boat shows perhaps!

1 minute ago, Kalapattar said:

Ok, thanks for your reply! I may on day have a go at making one! Looks like I’ll have to reposition current one!

a good business opportunity to sell them at boat shows perhaps!

I've made two for people with the heavily curved Liverpool boat roofs and are working well after about 7 years.

I would if I had the time and tools!

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

They used to make/sell angled hardwood spacers for roof collars at Uxbridge Boat Centre. Might be worth giving them a call. They're closed on Mondays.

Ok thanks!

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You will have to make your own, its just another part of boat fitting.

Unless you can find a tame woodworker who will cut one but they will need the flue collar as a pattern.

Do you need an angle to correct for the roof bow?

Yes, If then I need to make one, it will be finding a block of hardwood, drills and a device to cut the correct angle I suppose?