As this is a National Policy , WHERE ELSE IS IT BEING DONE ?

norman18grp

Featured Posts

Caroline Killeavy , General Manager of East Midlands Navigations.

Has Repeatedly stated in her letters that the moorings closure is part of a National Policy !

So I ask this Question , Where Else ?

Its been six months now since we recieved our letters so in that time surely somewhere else (other than East Midlands Navigations) must have been affected by this Policy ?

She also states in her letters that finding us alternitive moorings is a local Priority !

" All boaters have been offered support from our moorings officer Sandie Dunston"

That support is just to tell us no alternitive moorings are available !

Please let us know if you have heard of this being done anywhere else

or is our Caroline just trying to make a name for herself ?

If anyone feels strongly enough about this to write a letter,

Here is her address.

Caroline Killeavy,

General Manager,

East Midlands Navigations,

British Waterways,

The Kiln,

Mather Road,

Newark,

Nottinghamshire.

NG24 1FB.

<_< So Thats A NO! Then :o

Of all the navigation areas of British Waterways there is only us at Sawley, Beeston and Thurmaston ?

Its hard to believe as Caroline Killeavy say's "This is a national policy"

So we are the lucky ones , The chosen few . Who BW have chosen to act as guinea pigs .

If we just let this happen (as BW want) Many many more of you will lose your mooring !

So us "BOATERS" Have to stick together !

Whatever boat you have Wood, Steel or GRP.

Cruiser, Narrowboat, Barge or Yacht.

Widebeam, Narrowbeam, Long, Short, Fat or Thin.

Liveaboard, Leisure or Hire.

One thing we all have in common is we are all boaters and the comradeship we feel when we meet .

Where else? Surely they have to start somewhere, as they can't go everywhere at once?

It's no good moaning because you happen to be among the first to be affected, on the grounds that 'someone else' hasn't yet been affected.

Note that this doesn't make any difference to the rights and wrongs of the action itself, but it's an invalid complaint. If your house gets served a CPO for a new motorway, you can't complain because 'they' are not going to knock down your next-door neighbour's house.

Controversial, but realistic. Sorry.

Ian

Even if the Easy Midlands action is first, this doesn't make any difference. What business is it of anyone's if someone else who will be affected, isn't yet affected? This is just a playground level 'it's not fair' moan. That was my point. Whether it is fair or not doesn't affect the campaign.

BW's waterways, BW makes the rules. Sorry, folks, that's the way it is.

Ian

Even if the Easy Midlands action is first, this doesn't make any difference. What business is it of anyone's if someone else who will be affected, isn't yet affected? This is just a playground level 'it's not fair' moan. That was my point. Whether it is fair or not doesn't affect the campaign.

Ian

Not BW's waterways, our waterways.It's about time BW started behaving like the Civil Service department it is and stopped bullying people into thinking "It's their canal, they're God."

Ian might not have worded this thread well but I echo his sentiments. If we don't do something together then the evictions in the East Midlands will be the first of many.

Anyone who moors online should be concerned that they'll lose their, or their boat's, home.

Anyone who moors in a marina should be concerned that their fees will rise with demand.

Anyone who wants to get a boat or mooring can be sure that their waiting list will be longer.

Anyone who wants to cruise the canals without seing one ugly boat park after another will be disappointed because at the rate they're building the sterile, sanitised holes in the ground, there'll be no bankside fields left.

I'd rather boat past a hundred online boats and look over them to see countryside and scenery, than one pit filled with water where nature used to live.

Edited by carlt

I too would prefer there were boats on the canal itself rather than marinas everywhere, but the majority don't seem to want this and majorities rule. 'stop motorway madness on canals' is something i saw written under a railway bridge, and thinking about it a modern marina is very similar to a motorway service station. There is NO stopping it.

Ian

No, BW are (or should be) answerable to us, they are a nationalised industry set up to maintain and look after our canals, not a private owner of a linear theme park.

The problem is, they think they are a business for profit, and are behaving as such. This is totally wrong and unacceptable. The problem is, too many people have been persuaded, as you have, that they own the waterways. This was made worse when British Waterways Marinas were set up as a public company and millions of pounds worth of public assetts were immediately given away and no-one batted an eyelid.

It is true there must be some rules, you couldn't have people not 'keeping right' for example, and overstaying on moorings etc, but major controversial issues that are detrimental to the majority, or a significant minority, must not be allowed to arise, and this is happening more and more.

Removing low cost moorings is one way of forcing up the average income of boaters, which is something that BW is intent on doing. It forced me off the waterways about a year ago, and with the 9 percent hike I am unlikely to ever be able to afford to come back, now boating on cheaper waterways, but I miss it so much and it should really be waterways for all, not just the rich, it never used to be.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

I'd rather boat past a hundred online boats and look over them to see countryside and scenery, than one pit filled with water where nature used to live.

I agree with that. Just from experience I've never seen a pretty marina, even when they have tried really hard to preserve the surrounding countryside, it's still a bunch of ugly pontoons at the end of the day.

I don't get this waterway traffic jam. I love chugging past boats on line. It's fantastic. I've not met one yet who if at their window or outside didn't give us a cheery wave. How can anyone not love that?

I agree with that. Just from experience I've never seen a pretty marina, even when they have tried really hard to preserve the surrounding countryside, it's still a bunch of ugly pontoons at the end of the day.

I don't get this waterway traffic jam. I love chugging past boats on line. It's fantastic. I've not met one yet who if at their window or outside didn't give us a cheery wave. How can anyone not love that?

Herw Here!! It's part OF the waterways, I can't beleive that BW want to get rid of on line moorings, they'll be increasing the speed limit next as there won't be any on line moorers to upset.

I love coming across a line of moored boats, it's part of the enjoyment.

What about when you want to stop?

It's come to end of a long day and you're ready to moor up for the night and there's no break in the line of moored boats. There was a space about a mile back, but there's nowhere to turn around. So you've got to keep going and going at tickover into the dark hoping a space appears soon. All the while knowing you're batteries aren't charging because the you're going too slow :lol: :lol:

It's come to end of a long day and you're ready to moor up for the night and there's no break in the line of moored boats. There was a space about a mile back, but there's nowhere to turn around. So you've got to keep going and going at tickover into the dark hoping a space appears soon. All the while knowing you're batteries aren't charging because the you're going too slow :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure because in 20+ years, it's never happened. I've had to walk 20 minutes back to the pub, often, but that's no hardship. If there are no spaces at visitors moorings then I carry on and moor well away from other boats, using mooring pins.

If I had trouble walking then I'd ask a fellow boater if I could breast up (I still feel some sense of camaraderie in the boating fraternity) explaining my predicament. Breasting up at pub moorings was fairly commonplace in the 80's (when there were less boats!), maybe we were just friendlier then.

It's come to end of a long day and you're ready to moor up for the night and there's no break in the line of moored boats. There was a space about a mile back, but there's nowhere to turn around. So you've got to keep going and going at tickover into the dark hoping a space appears soon. All the while knowing you're batteries aren't charging because the you're going too slow

370764432_8d4f6b516d_b.jpg

Above are the moorings at Sawley

To the right of the picture just out of sight is Sawley Marina .

In the right foreground are Sawley marina Visitor moorings , However B,W,M,L. have now decided that they no longer require visitor moorings at their marina and they are now Long Term marina berths .

You can moor there for Diesel, Petrol and pump out and room for 1 boat to wait.

Behind the Visitor/marina Berths are the moorings of Derby Motor Boat Club.

Now on the Left are the BW online moorings .

Looking at the center of the picture you will see 2 of BW's floating skips these have graced our moorings for over 2 years and are actually on the Visitor moorings .

the second boat after the skips marks the start of the Long Term moorings, from there to the lock in the far distance.

The cruiser (sixth boat after the skips) is "Otter" BW's Patrol Boat Sawley is not its home mooring it's just stored here from time to time.

There is a total of 11 boats on the Long Term moorings 9 Residential and 2 Leisure. 7 of these boats are under threat 5 R and the 2 L. Most of the 4 Boats have been on the site for ten's of years. some have disabilities.

Coming back towards the camera from the second boat after the skips are the Visitor moorings which take up the larger section of the towpath.

A short section closest to the camera is a 48hr mooring the rest being 14days .

any empty space in the long Term moorings is available as a visitor mooring until the berth holder returns.

sometimes space can run short when the Canaltimes come out of the marina ! but thats nothing to do with us sorry .

So except for the marina there are plenty of Visitor moorings at Sawley !

And as for slowing down you don't need to ! Sawley Cut is deep and wide as long as you don't cut too close to our boats you can pass at 4mph with no problem at all.

You are all welcome to come to Sawley and see for yourself

370764432_8d4f6b516d_b.jpg

Above are the moorings at Sawley

To the right of the picture just out of sight is Sawley Marina .

In the right foreground are Sawley marina Visitor moorings , However B,W,M,L. have now decided that they no longer require visitor moorings at their marina and they are now Long Term marina berths .

You can moor there for Diesel, Petrol and pump out and room for 1 boat to wait.

Behind the Visitor/marina Berths are the moorings of Derby Motor Boat Club.

Now on the Left are the BW online moorings .

Looking at the center of the picture you will see 2 of BW's floating skips these have graced our moorings for over 2 years and are actually on the Visitor moorings .

the second boat after the skips marks the start of the Long Term moorings, from there to the lock in the far distance.

The cruiser (sixth boat after the skips) is "Otter" BW's Patrol Boat Sawley is not its home mooring it's just stored here from time to time.

There is a total of 11 boats on the Long Term moorings 9 Residential and 2 Leisure. 7 of these boats are under threat 5 R and the 2 L. Most of the 4 Boats have been on the site for ten's of years. some have disabilities.

Coming back towards the camera from the second boat after the skips are the Visitor moorings which take up the larger section of the towpath.

A short section closest to the camera is a 48hr mooring the rest being 14days .

any empty space in the long Term moorings is available as a visitor mooring until the berth holder returns.

sometimes space can run short when the Canaltimes come out of the marina ! but thats nothing to do with us sorry .

So except for the marina there are plenty of Visitor moorings at Sawley !

And as for slowing down you don't need to ! Sawley Cut is deep and wide as long as you don't cut too close to our boats you can pass at 4mph with no problem at all.

You are all welcome to come to Sawley and see for yourself

What if you want to buy something from the chandlery, do you just moor where you can on that side? Seems a bit silly, but then that's BWML for you.

I'm not sure because in 20+ years, it's never happened. I've had to walk 20 minutes back to the pub, often, but that's no hardship. If there are no spaces at visitors moorings then I carry on and moor well away from other boats, using mooring pins.

If I had trouble walking then I'd ask a fellow boater if I could breast up (I still feel some sense of camaraderie in the boating fraternity) explaining my predicament. Breasting up at pub moorings was fairly commonplace in the 80's (when there were less boats!), maybe we were just friendlier then.

well said that man excellent post

House prices go up on an unprecedented scale. More people can 'afford' to spend more on leisure (debt mountain?). Lack of affordable housing pushes less affluent (is that the right spelling?) people into living on boats. Leisure users moan about residential boaters 'getting something for nothing' and the powers that be listen to people who moan. thats how I see it.

House prices go up on an unprecedented scale. More people can 'afford' to spend more on leisure (debt mountain?). Lack of affordable housing pushes less affluent (is that the right spelling?) people into living on boats. Leisure users moan about residential boaters 'getting something for nothing' and the powers that be listen to people who moan. thats how I see it.

Not everyone who moors online is a liveaboard. A lot of us live in houses too, you know.

And , if those liveaboards being evicted are paying for a licence, moorings, insurance and upkeep of their home, how are they getting something for nothing?

Edited by carlt

My post was a response to a question 'it was alright on the old cut, why are we fighting?' or something like that i can't quote posts as context as i'm using a mobile. I did put 'something for nothing' in quotes its certainly not what i believe but i think someone paying a marina fee might think differently to me (an online mooring payer). I see it as a battle between marina bods and onliners.

Did everyone read this bit ?

So us "BOATERS" Have to stick together !

Whatever boat you have Wood, Steel or GRP.

Cruiser, Narrowboat, Barge or Yacht.

Widebeam, Narrowbeam, Long, Short, Fat or Thin.

Liveaboard, Leisure or Hire.

One thing we all have in common is we are all boaters and the comradeship we feel when we meet .

It has Nothing to do with Liveaboards and Leisure boaters

It has Nothing to do with Online or Marina Moorers

We are all Boaters and if we can't learn get on with each other and help each other out

Then the waterways community has no chance !