A bridge to nowhere

Supermalc

Featured Posts

As someone described this on another forum.

On the Witham this structure appeared the other week near Antons Gowt (near Boston).

DSCF1013.jpg

I learned from a fellow dogwalker they are observations platforms.

They are now finished, one at Antons Gowt, and another similar in appearance at Lincoln, where the path starts.

Today I took Barney for a walk at home (Lincoln) and found Nicola (head of Sustrans here at any rate) on the platform.

She said there are indeed two and ......... if you happen the catch the new newsletter, and I'm featured.........I'm the 'model' looking out across Lincoln.

Look at the Dawncraft forum for possible uses, or post your own............however from the horses mouth they are OBSERVATION PLATFORMS......designed by a Belgian Architect.

you need to design one of those? :lol: I thought you would just take one end of a railway footbridge and cantilever it...

and shouldn't an observation platform have, like, a platform? these are just steps that stop...

That said, I can see the point, having walked along many rivers and never really had a good view

I probably should have explained.....Sustrans are working on the walking/cycling/horseriding track from Lincoln to Boston. The now have the majority completed, and the quiet road along the riverbank can be used from Kirkstead to Tattershall bridges.

What are they to observe....well the tree tops I should think :lol:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/

• 4 weeks later...
There are lots of these around the country, but usually found at race tracks from where chequered flags are waved. Does this mean that the speed limit on the Witham is about to be lifted?

Tony

Starters Rostrum.....of course. I should have know that, shouldn't I :lol: I'd better get a 5.3litre mercruiser engine fitted in the off season :) Mind you even if I fitted foils etc. to make her plane I still wouldn't be able to keep up. There are some good long uninterupted straights from Boston to Chapel. No moored boats, no anglers, no walkers, as there aint a road :)

Heard one roaring upstream only a week or two ago. He came past at 6mph so that's fine. And most planing boats don't make much wash.

Edited by Supermalc