pump out 12v pump fuse

jenevers

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, jenevers said:

I have heavy cabling to my pump out 12 volt pump, which gets warm when operating, but the in-line fuse and short cables either side get really hot. Is there a fuse set up that is more robust?

What is your battery voltage with the pump running ?

Does it happen with the engine running ?

I have a similar problem with my re-fueling bowser, as the battery voltage drops the pump takes more current & the cables get hotter and hotter until the fuse holder melts.

Is the fuse specified for the thin or thick cable, I suspect the thick and the thin cable is not thick enough for the current you are passing through it. It may well be the heavy cable is undersized as well.

The cable size shoudl be calculated to minimise volt drop over its length and the fuse should be selected to protect the cable unless the pump manufacturer has specified its rating. Fitting a lower rated fuse than the cable current rating is acceptable.

I am not clear what you mean by "pump out 12 volt pump". Is this a self pump out pump or a maccerator/vacuum pump.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that 6mm2 all the way back to the batteries ?

What is the pump wattage / current ?

What is the distance from the batteries ?

Does it still overheat with the engine running ?

Yes.

Don't know at the moment.

11 metres.

I've never run the engine at the same time.

2 minutes ago, jenevers said:

I've never run the engine at the same time.

As I said in Post #2, I've had a similar problem when the battery voltage is low, so it may be worth trying it with the engine running.

Leesan say to use 6mm2 cable for an 11 metre run so voltage drop should not be an issue, but if your batteries are a bit low to start with .................

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As I said in Post #2, I've had a similar problem when the battery voltage is low, so it may be worth trying it with the engine running.

Leesan say to use 6mm2 cable for an 11 metre run so voltage drop should not be an issue, but if your batteries are a bit low to start with .................

Batteries are 100% but I'll try running the engine next time.

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But the OP appeared to say the fuse is in a thinner cable -  I suspect a ready made up inline fuse with 2sq mm CCSA or less cable. If so that will be the problem.

We still have not been told the pump current/wattage.

That is the problem. That's why I'm trying to find a fuse "set-up" that doesn't involve thin cable. Can't give the current/wattage as I'm not aboard.

19 minutes ago, jenevers said:

That is the problem. That's why I'm trying to find a fuse "set-up" that doesn't involve thin cable. Can't give the current/wattage as I'm not aboard.

Try one of these

https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses-electricals-and-fixings/fuses/halfords-maxi-blade-fuse-holder-hfs206-870675.html

Or perhaps this would be better as you can crimp the terminals directly to your existing 6mm cable.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/splashproof-maxi-blade-fuse-holder.html

Don't forget to buy a suitable size fuse too.

Edited by pearley

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

Without the current or wattage we can't really advise but if our large cable is rated at 30 amps plus there are fuse holders that connect with stud and nut so your thick wire connects straight to the holder. I think one of the links above is for something similar and Vehicle Wiring Products list them.

I would avoid ready wired holders for heavier currents because you have no idea how good the hidden connections are.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Try one of these

https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses-electricals-and-fixings/fuses/halfords-maxi-blade-fuse-holder-hfs206-870675.html

Or perhaps this would be better as you can crimp the terminals directly to your existing 6mm cable.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/splashproof-maxi-blade-fuse-holder.html

Don't forget to buy a suitable size fuse too.

Looks good?