Optimum Length Boat For Continuous Cruising

Blue Knight

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

First picture, keeping the bow in the centre of the gates where the curve of the cill gives the most clearance.

It's easier to go diagonally across the lock, as you gain a precious few inches from the angle of the tailgates.  You also miss the jet from the gate mitres, but can catch the jet from the heel post instead.

You do have to go through that position to get past the shut gate though.

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Old woman hanging on the bow with a cratch cover and nothing to hang onto, I would say foolish.

Yeah, I don't like cratch covers either ...

14 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

getting the 60'er through took three people. Two on the boat and one working the paddles and gates.

It can be done singlehanded, but very slowly and with bow and stern lines.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I would disagree with that!

We have had a 62ft and now a 65ft boat and in the 3 1/2 years have never found any problem being able to moor it and it certainly isnt a pain to move it.

We set out 4 years ago looking for a 57ft 'go anywhere' boat but couldnt see one we liked. Fell in love with the 62ft one, bought it and never looked back. OK, we cant do a few of the up north canals but there are so many other canals to do - so does it matter? Just got a new boat - 4 ft longer- as we wanted more room. We live full time on the boat and 65ft is a good compromise on being long enough for comfort but avoiding 70ft where you would have to be a bit more awake at locks and accept it would be a bit more work winding the boat. We dont find 65ft restraining in any way in terms of daily mooring as we cruise the network - and there are plenty of winding holes.

If you HAVE to do the northern canals then yes you need 55-57ft but if not, there's far more comfort in a 60-65ft. We couldnt live on 55ft one. Far too small. We dont like camping.

You set out 4 years ago looking for a go anywhere boat and you  haven’t got one. So basically you’ve just done the central canals that were built for the bigger boats and non of the Northern canals, your missing out on some great canals. Please  read the OP’s first post he wants to do the whole network which includes the North.

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

We don't all have your infinite wisdom. 

It’s not wisdom it’s common sense. I think most boaters looking at the picture would think the same. If that boat surged she’s not going to do a thing to hold it or fend it off.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So you’ve just done the central canals that were built for the bigger boats and non of the Northern canals, read the OP’s first post he wants to do the whole network.

That's what we said when we started looking for a boat. On our short list of 'must haves' was <57ft to  do the northern canals.

2 months into looking for our first boat our requirements were modified by the boats we saw. Although we'd years of boating experience (living on boats) we didnt know canals. We thought we knew what we wanted but I am glad we saw the error in our ways. Yes, it would be nice to do the L&L from end to end but actually there are almost unlimited places to go south of there - boat comfort is a higher priority for us now. Everyone is different. Do people coming on the canals for the first time really know what they want?

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, it would be nice to do the L&L from end to end

You can still do both ends, just not transit Wigan Junction to Leeds, so you have to miss some of the nicest bits.

Liverpool is well worth doing if you come up this way, and full length locks all the way.  You could also do the Rochdale while you're nearby.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

That's what we said when we started looking for a boat. On our short list of 'must haves' was <57ft to  do the northern canals.

2 months into looking for our first boat our requirements were modified by the boats we saw. Although we'd years of boating experience (living on boats) we didnt know canals. We thought we knew what we wanted but I am glad we saw the error in our ways. Yes, it would be nice to do the L&L from end to end but actually there are almost unlimited places to go south of there - boat comfort is a higher priority for us now. Everyone is different. Do people coming on the canals for the first time really know what they want?

There’s a big difference in living on a boat, being comfortable and travelling the canals, you’ve made the decision to be comfortable and I image you only travel a specific area that suits the boat. The OP would like to travel the network so a suitable smaller boat then yours is required. I would say most know little about the impact of boat length both positive and negative until they have traveled the canals for a few years.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

There’s a big difference in living on a boat, being comfortable and travelling the canals, you’ve made the decision to be comfortable and I image you only travel a specific area that suits the boat. The OP would like to travel the network so a suitable smaller boat then yours is required. I would say most know little about the impact of boat length both positive and negative until they have traveled the canals for a few years.

Yes, you are bang on the money there sir - we want to start off by knowing that we can at least attempt everything and anything on the C&RT network.

We can then build up our experience levels and if our outlook or requirements to boating changes then we'll change the boat accordingly. (I would rather get it right first time around though, hence the opening question).

In the motorhome world we went from the mid-to-larger vans, to a very agile unit, after realising that we were missing out on so many nice places by owning a van which was far too cumbersome.

In some ways we've learnt from that and therefore want to be agile from day one.

A number of people have mentioned the size of their living areas on their various large NB's but, if Nicky and I can spend weeks and months in a 20ft camper, then a 55-57ft NB sounds like proper luxury.

We'll be lost for space - which sounds very good indeed.

All the best,

Andrew

Edited by Blue Knight

23 hours ago, dmr said:

There are a couple of lovely big fold out maps of the entire network "Map of the Inland Waterways of Great Britain" by Imray is good. I think Nicholsons do something similar. These are big things you can open out on the dining table on a dark winters night and dream about boating. You will have to do the (fun) research to mark out which canals are impossible/maybe impossible.

There is also a smaller map just the right size to go on a spare bit of wall inside the boat. You maybe get these at chandlers. Mine is laminated and was a gift from another boater/forum member, not sure if it came laminated or if he did it.

There is also various stuff on the internet.

............Dave

Thanks Dave, some tip-top advice as usual. I'll get onto that now.

Edited by Blue Knight

6 minutes ago, Blue Knight said:

Thanks Dave, some tip-top advice as usual. I'll get onto that now.

We have the big folding (IWA?) one, and last year got the smaller Lockmaster "Principal Inland Navigations" one because it fits on a bulkhead on the boat.

We also have the Chris Clegg Canal Time map for rough journey planning, and can recommend all of them.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We have the big folding (IWA?) one, and last year got the smaller Lockmaster "Principal Inland Navigations" one because it fits on a bulkhead on the boat.

We also have the Chris Clegg Canal Time map for rough journey planning, and can recommend all of them.

Very kind indeed, thanks for the info @TheBiscuits