Isuzu 35 Alternator belt removal

Featured Posts

Hi all, first post on here so go easy!!

I am trying to replace the alternator belts on my Isuzu 35 and there are 2 water pipes running into the wheel at the bottom centre of the engine which prevent the belts from coming off.

My question is about the best way forward without damaging anything...remove the 2 water pipes individually or does the whole setup come away from the wheel with a bit of persuasion?

Hope this makes sense to someone!

Thanks

So that is a Jabsco raw water pump and it seems a very amateurish marinisation.

I have a feeling that once you are sure the blue tie bar and any other fixings are removed the

Jabsco pump will just lever off forward.

The clear hose does not look as if it has antifreeze in it so its probably raw water. In that case turn off the relevant sea cock and disconnect the two hoses but the clear one looks as if it has no clip on it. Once back together with the cock back on it should self prime when the engine runs.

If this is a dry exhaust tank/keel cooled canal boat then as I can see what looks like a normal cooling water pump the whole system could be simplified so that Jabsco pump is not required.

1 minute ago, maverickcoddiwompler said:

Hey, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

So, i could get away with either the pump removed OR the hoses disconnected, which would you go for?

First you need to answer Tony's question as to whether the engine is raw water cooled through a heat exchanger, or if it has an enclosed system with skin tanks.

Perhaps post a photo of the whole engine from top and both sides then we may be able to tell. At present that large silver "pipe" across the front of the engine is puzzling me.

1 minute ago, maverickcoddiwompler said:

Raw water 

Then just turn the sea cock off and take the hoses off. When done work out how you will deal with winter. Raw water, Modern engines and frost do not sit well together.

Sorry I can't see enough of the detail to work out exactly how it all operates. I can see what looks like half a filler on the exhaust manifold cum header than so suspect it probably is heat exchanger cooled with antifreeze mixture in the engine but not in the raw water circuit. I think I can see an exhaust silencer/water trap but the exhaust is running to an odd place for a narrowboat but so be it.

Try levering the pump forward because I think it will just pop out of the pulley but the silver water pipe that comes from the gearbox oil cooler will probably hinder it.

As far as I can see no reason not to take the two hoses off.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 minute ago, Mike Adams said:

Just take the two bolts off that hold the pump onto the crankshaft pulley and the one that acts as an anti rotation point. No need to disturb the cooling system. Standard Isuzu raw water arrangement with jabsco on the crankshaft.

I looked for something like that but can't see any bolts. Perhaps obscured bu the belt. It looks as if the tie bar is already undone

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I looked for something like that but can't see any bolts. Perhaps obscured bu the belt. It looks as if the tie bar is already undone

Could it be these? Mostly hidden by pipework, but what can be seen could be fixing bolts to join the raw water pulley to the crank pulley. It sort of makes sense if so. The original pulley on the crankshaft drives engine water pump and the alternator on the port side of the engine. The raw water pump pulley is bolted to the crank pulley, with the blue stabiliser arm to stop it rotating. The pulley on the raw water pump drives the second alternator on the starboard top side of the engine. Weird, but workable. 

Jen

rawpump.jpg.338426dba5539ac1366bf25ca6251a22.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

19 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Just take the two bolts off that hold the pump onto the crankshaft pulley and the one that acts as an anti rotation point. No need to disturb the cooling system. Standard Isuzu raw water arrangement with jabsco on the crankshaft.

Did this and no problem, belts are off! Thanks guys, much appreciated!! :) 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1