Water circulation problem.

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Post 68 Tony?

Ah, I was looking at the other side. I think they are packing pieces to cant the shaft upwards, maybe to keep the pulleys in line. Can't think why else you would just shim the front of the pump unless its another bodge to tension the belt..

They fell off as I undid the pump I was about to post asking about them, I think I will try it without the shims first and see how it lines up, and hopefully that will be enough, if not I will do what you showed Tony with the A-B bolts.

I am now going to order the parts before I proceed I will post here to double check, and I still need a filter from the water entering the boat pipe and the first oil cooler.

Jabsco Boat Marine Pumpgard In-Line Strainer 3/4" Barb  would this work?

filter123.JPG

Will go one this pipe

pipe123.jpeg

No, that is a strainer for the domestic water pump. what you want is much larger. Someone posted an image much earlier in the topic and ASAP list a lot. Personally I would fit a skin fitting through the bottom of the  hull with a sea cock on that and then a bronze strainer so you can glass up that hole in the transom the hose goes through.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No, that is a strainer for the domestic water pump. what you want is much larger. Someone posted an image much earlier in the topic and ASAP list a lot. Personally I would fit a skin fitting through the bottom of the  hull with a sea cock on that and then a bronze strainer so you can glass up that hole in the transom the hose goes through.

I would say skin fitting 10" below the water line in the side of the boat rather than the bottom where all the mud is.

#If you can rock and hold the boat over you may be able to drill and fit it without docking.#   #Fit a sea cock inside so you can close it off.#

See post #8 for what Alan suggested, standard sort of filter, fit it only just above the water level so that when you take the top off to clean it out the boat doesn't sink! But not so high that the pump will struggle to prime.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nothing to say?

Not like you to not quote chapter and verse Alan or are you speechless?  Even rarer!?

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

FWIW I have just checked the Xylem Jabsco site. The pump is out of stock (I think no longer available), the end plate is out of stock (ditto) but they do have impellors and gland packing. The packing costs £8 so i could see some modified stern gland packing being put to use:)

Can you tell me which one to get there is so many.

https://www.jabscoshop.com/search/?brands-dropdown=&q=gland+packing

That is stern gland packing and your outdrive does not use it.

Whilst Tracy, Alan, RLWP and some others could modify and cut stern gland packing to suit I think you will find the packing from https://www.jabscoshop.com/site-map/obsolete-jabsco/4900-200-pump-05-brz-40-pedestal.htm

easier to deal with. No idea if ASAP sell it.

• Love 1

Brilliant movie, oscar material.

You are OK so far.

Ensure the impeller has the ends curled in the right direction.  Grease the gasket well when you fit it to seal and make it easier to remove later.

The damaged 1st threads on the greaser bodies not important but filing the ends down to get rid of the chips may make it easier the screw the grease caps on when you are struggling under the engine to refill them. Fill bodies and caps with grease. Fit them with just a first few threads then you have plenty of thread to go when you turn them a bit to grease the bearings, say once every 20 hours? Not sure, never had any pumps like this, Tony will know.

PTFE tape on the water fittings threads is fine.

You have done a lovely job cleaning everything up.

TD'

• Love 1

Excellent job and good video - maybe you could make an instructional 'who to do it' video for others to learn by.

Yes impeller grease lightly smeared around inside the impeller housing, give the tips of the impellor vanes a good coating, and impellor grease a light smear under the gasket.

As Tracy says ensure that the vanes are fed in and bent in the correct direction or they will snap off as soon as you start the engine.

Excellent job.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Brilliant movie, oscar material.

You are OK so far.

Ensure the impeller has the ends curled in the right direction.  Grease the gasket well when you fit it to seal and make it easier to remove later.

The damaged 1st threads on the greaser bodies not important but filing the ends down to get rid of the chips may make it easier the screw the grease caps on when you are struggling under the engine to refill them. Fill bodies and caps with grease. Fit them with just a first few threads then you have plenty of thread to go when you turn them a bit to grease the bearings, say once every 20 hours? Not sure, never had any pumps like this, Tony will know.

PTFE tape on the water fittings threads is fine.

You have done a lovely job cleaning everything up.

TD'

Thank you Tracy 

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Excellent job and good video - maybe you could make an instructional 'who to do it' video for others to learn by.

Yes impeller grease lightly smeared around inside the impeller housing, give the tips of the impellor vanes a good coating, and impellor grease a light smear under the gasket.

As Tracy says ensure that the vanes are fed in and bent in the correct direction or they will snap off as soon as you start the engine.

Excellent job.

I might have a project coming up soon if all goes well, and will make a video of the restore, all credit to you lot though, it feels like the matrix, one moment I knew absolutely nothing and the next I am on my boat stripping the system down. ?

Edited by marji
  • Happy 1

I am sure its an omission but the pump in the video has no cam fitted, without that it won't pump. You don't want air or water leaking between cam and pump body do give the back of the cnm a smear of jointing compound before you  refit it.

Tony I took it out to clean the pump, made the video to ask some questions then went back and cleaned the cam and fitted it.

Can someone confirm this is in correct and the fins in the right direction and all good.

Impeller new.jpeg

Edited by marji
change photo

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It will try to, but there is not enough room for the vanes to change direction by 180 degrees and they will break/tear off.

I did spin the pulley boths ways and they did adjust direction with no stress, of course under the torque of the engine might be a different story, also this is a different pump to yours these could be bit looser.

2 minutes ago, marji said:

I did spin the pulley boths ways and they did adjust direction with no stress, of course under the torque of the engine might be a different story, also this is a different pump to yours these could be bit looser.

OK, maybe being new and well greased is helping.

I'm sure if you have it the same way as it was previously it'll be fine.

Again, well done its a big achievement doing your own repairs.