Water circulation problem.

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The BloB is water!

Don't get what you are saying Alan, the whole of the cover needs lapping down till is flat all over, there is no original recess around the bearing hole or the edge, its all wear by the impeller.

TD'

OK, Understand what you are proposing - lap the whole face down until it is level with the damage, then keep going until all the damage is removed as well.

That's going to take some doing, but I guess it'll pass the time whilst Eastenders is on !

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

OK, Understand what you are proposing - lap the whole face down until it is level with the damage, then keep going until all the damage is removed as well.

That's going to take some doing, but I guess it'll pass the time whilst Eastenders is on !

Not so long, its only brass/bronze.

Surely you are too intelligent to watch Wetenders?

He can't buy a new pump, so it will have to be reworked.

TD'

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's why I try and find something useful to do whist it is on.

I can re-load 30x  303 cartridges per episode.

No point Alan, you can't shoot the idiots through the TV,  mind,  I can't tell what they are saying most of the time, to many glottal  stops. ?

4 minutes ago, marji said:

Using 600 grit watching Dracula.

Any chance I can use electric sander? 

The problem is that you can't afford to reduce one side of plate compared to the other. This is why you should be twisting it frequently as you work.  600 grit - is that emery cloth or wet & dry? I would suggest that you use course emery cloth and when nearly there switch to fine or your 600 grit wet & dry. The angle thing is especially important with the shaft being carried in the end plate.

A further bit if information for you. Your pump has been modified to make changing the impellor easier. Originally the impellor went into the pump and then the shaft was pushed in from the back. This meant the key prevented the impellor being pulled out in the way you did. I also meant that to change the impellor you had to take the pulley off and push the shaft back enough to slip the key out.  After  a few impellor changes the aluminium pulleys used to wear so to make things easier people pulled the shat forward and repositioned the pulley so you can  pull the impellor off the shaft and key. The downside of this is the shaft is only supported in about half the rear cover.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, marji said:

Only have p 600 and p1200 ☹️

You won't live long enough with 1200s!

Buy some paper from a car spares shop that is made for rubbing body filler down. Flat surface, a mirror or a sheet of glass is good.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The problem is that you can't afford to reduce one side of plate compared to the other. This is why you should be twisting it frequently as you work.  600 grit - is that emery cloth or wet & dry? I would suggest that you use course emery cloth and when nearly there switch to fine or your 600 grit wet & dry. The angle thing is especially important with the shaft being carried in the end plate.

A further bit if information for you. Your pump has been modified to make changing the impellor easier. Originally the impellor went into the pump and then the shaft was pushed in from the back. This meant the key prevented the impellor being pulled out in the way you did. I also meant that to change the impellor you had to take the pulley off and push the shaft back enough to slip the key out.  After  a few impellor changes the aluminium pulleys used to wear so to make things easier people pulled the shat forward and repositioned the pulley so you can  pull the impellor off the shaft and key. The downside of this is the shaft is only supported in about half the rear cover.

Ok so I will have a look for coarse cloth and yes my 600 and 1200 is wet n dry.

The key is stuck on the shaft, it looks like is that the mod?

Only have p 600 and p1200 ☹️

You will be there all day and all night. I think you need to get hold of some SHEETS (not srolls) of course emery paper or at  a pinch say 60 grit wet and dry.

1 minute ago, marji said:

Ok so I will have a look for coarse cloth and yes my 600 and 1200 is wet n dry.

The key is stuck on the shaft, it looks like is that the mod?

No, if you used a punch and hit it in the right place/way it would pop out. don't leave it where it is. Not on the shaft, in the shaft. That key is half moon shaped so sits deep in the shaft.

12 minutes ago, marji said:

Ok I will go find some, so far I have this much done.

mmmm.jpeg

You are using a circular motion of circles of 2" plus in diameter I hope. Then twist through about 90 degrees and continue circular motion and repeat. Some of the marks on the face suggest that you may not be.

The problem is the paper I found is quite small but the plate looks quite even, circular motion is being used but some corrections were made on spot areas to level it out more even.

how much more do I need to do?

x2.jpeg

x1.jpeg

The problem is the paper I found is quite small but the plate looks quite even, circular motion is being used but some corrections were made on spot areas to level it out more even.

how much more do I need to do?

x2.jpeg

x1.jpeg

Well done, looks like you cracked it. Lightly grease the gasket when you fit it to help it squish into place.

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well done!  Cramp in the fingers? That's far enough, the impeller has a flat face to run on.

TD'

I am enjoying it alot which is key, but yes the fingers feel bit stiff, but job well done counters that. 

Another very important thing.  Because that pump has no replicable bearings you need to minimise the wear in the body and body wear is  often cause by people overtightening the drive belt. It needs to be a fair bit slacker than the alternator belt. I would suggest at least 1" of play in the centre of the run and more is OK as long as it pumps properly.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, marji said:

I am enjoying it alot which is key, but yes the fingers feel bit stiff, but job well done counters that. 

Give the other face where the gasket sits on the body of the pump a quick clean off too, saves having a leak.

Be sure to fit the impeller with its legs dragging not pushing when the pump rotates. Use the lube in the  kit.

Look what you are learning, you would pay lots to learn all this in college.?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Another very important thing.  Because that pump has no replicable bearings you need to minimise the wear in the body and body wear is  often cause by people overtightening the drive belt. It needs to be a fair bit slacker than the alternator belt. I would suggest at least 1" of play in the centre of the run and more is OK as long as it pumps properly.

I think mine is just a bit on the tight side.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Give the other face where the gasket sits on the body of the pump a quick clean off too, saves having a leak.

Be sure to fit the impeller with its legs dragging not pushing when the pump rotates. Use the lube in the  kit.

Look what you are learning, you would pay lots to learn all this in college.?

Yes I will clean it after I remove the blockage, my son needed my time so I lost an hour or so, but will spend the evening cleaning it and fix the drip.

I fully respect the knowledge here, and even find it all interesting, thank you all. 

16 minutes ago, marji said:

I think mine is just a bit on the tight side.

In that case loosen it a bit

Slacken bolt A. take the nut B and the two spring washer off off and put a heavy flat washer onto the bolt followed by a spring washer and nut. the bracket the pump is mounted on shoudl now swivel on bolt A to alter the belt tension.

Jabsco2.jpg.9036112ee5aa0741b083905240258aaf.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Did I see some shims between the pump and the red mounting bracket?  I don't think that they need to be there, they increase the tension in the belt.

TC'

I can't see any, not a normal 1.5 fitment but there have been all sorts of pumps fitted so some may use shims.