Retrofitting DC immersion coils for solar dump load

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Tom Richmond said:

For anyone interested, and anyone trawling this thread in the future, here is a video demonstrating installation of the essex flange.

That's the way to do it, but the high temperature washers are black see below

We can supply with rubber EPDM washers (black) which are suitable for use with water up to 90C in lieu of the SX washers if required (please contact us prior to purchase if you wish to avail of this).

Please note that standard Essex flange rubber washers (white) are only suitable for temperatures up to 60C.

Edited by ditchcrawler

23 minutes ago, Tom Richmond said:

Does anyone have experience of Willis heaters? Seems they can be plumbed in parrallel to the cylinder, does the hot water then syphon in somehow? If anyone has a link to a source which explains this that would be super helpful! 

It's pretty well explained here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solasyphon-Solar-Water-Heater-Exchanger/dp/B005HAQVK6

The Willis Solasyphon is much more environmentally friendly than conventional twin coil solar cylinder technology due to the fact that the Syphon is fitted to the existing water heating system, therefore reducing the carbon footprint created by installing a new solar cylinder. Delivers solar heated water in minutes The unique and innovative feature of the Willis Solasyphon is the way in which it delivers solar heated water directly to the top of the existing water hot water cylinder where it stratifies ready for use at a useable temperature. Produces hot water even in marginal conditions In marginal or intermittent conditions such as are common in the northern hemisphere, particularly in Autumn, Winter and Spring the Willis Solasyphon will produce useable hot water in a way no other renewable energy system can at present. One hours sunshine will produce one hours worth of hot water at a useable temperature. No replacement cylinder required The Willis Solasyphon can be connected to the existing hot water cylinder with two simple connections. This is quicker, cheaper and much more environmentally friendly than the alternative. Easy Installation Fitting a Willis Solasyphon to an existing system is quick and easy to install and minimises any possibility of upsetting the existing plumbing system that can occur when you are replacing the existing cylinder with a new solar cylinder. Retrofitting a renewable energy system has never been easier. Further detail and specification available at: http://www.lps-belfast.co.uk/solasyphon.htm

24 minutes ago, Tom Richmond said:

Does anyone have experience of Willis heaters? Seems they can be plumbed in parrallel to the cylinder, does the hot water then syphon in somehow? If anyone has a link to a source which explains this that would be super helpful! 

I've been looking at them for a while with the intention of trying one when I am allowed more time on the boat. It's a straightforward thermosyphon. The advantage is that you don't have to cut into the tank, the plumbing may be easier and the hot goes straight into the top of the calorifier so is available quickly.

The main requirement is for the top (hot) end to go as close to the top of the calorifier as possible - the cold feed can come from anywhere. I've not managed to find anyone who will supply one with a 1 kW 230 V element, which is what I want (to save running the noisy Webasto when we have shore power). It's important for marine use to use a dual 'stat element. I can't see any reason why it can't be used with a 12 V element.

3 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Try typing "dual voltage immersion" into Ebay. Item 293567768276 immediately comes up for 230 / 12 V, others for 230 / 24 V.

The one that I just found looks to be a special made for the seller, trouble is it does not have a thermostat tube which would concern me more that the risk of having adjacent 12 and 240 volt systems.

..............Dave