Suggestions for a short break in October

Teadaemon

Featured Posts

Right, I've reached a bit of a blank with this, and need to get it booked up fairly soon, so I thought I'd raid this forum for a bit of inspiration.

We (myself, SWMBO, and the little 'un, plus my mum) are planning to take a weekend break of three or four days on a boat, at some point in October. Although we're based up north in South Shields, mum lives in Brum, so ideally we're looking to hire the boat from either somewhere in the midlands, or somewhere in between that's not too hard to get to by rail (mum drives, but we don't).

Suggestions are welcome, both for places to hire from and for possible routes. Given that the weather is likely to be less than clement at that time of year, we don't mind longish days travelling (though I suspect that if it's cold and raining I'll be the one on the helm), but no one in the party is particularly keen on doing large numbers of locks (half a dozen or so a day would be ample).

Oh, any recommendations for a toddler's lifejacket? I did have an old Practical Boat Owner that reviewed them a few years ago, but can't quite place it at the moment.

You could try Empress in Nantwich - I think they will arrange to pick you up at the station and Crewe is not far.

You could then toodle up the Llangollen which is good at that time of year as it is not very busy, has good scenery, pubs etc and there are not too many locks.

Perhaps not in your immediate search area but Oxfordshire Narrowboats (Blakes or better pictures on their website) of Lower Heyford are based directly opposite Lower Heyford station.

Depending on where in Birmingham your Mum is Water Travel & Napton Narrowboats at Autherley might be worth a look

Both companies run good craft

All the best

Dan

Thanks very much for your replies, definite food for thought.

I've managed to have a bit of a chat with SWMBO, and we've gone for a boat from Viking Afloat, from their Rugby base. Currently the plan is to cruise to Snarestone and back. Watch this space for a trip report (I might even remember to take my camera).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks very much for your replies, definite food for thought.

I've managed to have a bit of a chat with SWMBO, and we've gone for a boat from Viking Afloat, from their Rugby base. Currently the plan is to cruise to Snarestone and back. Watch this space for a trip report (I might even remember to take my camera).

Don't know if you have booked your boat by now, but one place you might try though its not in the Midlands is Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge on the Rochdale or Calder and hebble.

Why I suggest here is it is very good to get to by rail, the station is only a 10 minute walk from the wharf

Oh, any recommendations for a toddler's lifejacket? I did have an old Practical Boat Owner that reviewed them a few years ago, but can't quite place it at the moment.

If it's for the short-break, any hire company that doesn't supply lifejackets in all sizes shouldn't be operating.

If it's for the short-break, any hire company that doesn't supply lifejackets in all sizes shouldn't be operating.
I believe they do supply appropriate lifejackets, however we were considering buying ourselves lifejackets anyway, as we do a fair bit of boating, often on tidal water. We've since decided to leave it a bit and maybe get them before the start of the sailing season next year.
Don't know if you have booked your boat by now, but one place you might try though its not in the Midlands is Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge on the Rochdale or Calder and hebble.Why I suggest here is it is very good to get to by rail, the station is only a 10 minute walk from the wharf
Thanks for the suggestions, we've already booked with Viking Afloat at Rugby, and are planning to do at least some of the Ashby Canal (I'd like to get to Snarestone and back, but I suspect that lack of daylight may prove a limiting factor).