Thames Transformation

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

I last boated up the Thames about ten years ago and this summer I set off from the Wey for a return trip to Lechlade. What an amazing transformation from ten years ago! In mid-August I went most of the way up without sharing any locks. So quickly did we go that it only took half the time it did previously. Much as it made it very easy it is somewhat concerning to see the river so under-used at this time of year. One lock keeper noted that all (local cruising) boats were licenced but a lot were not being used.

Yet as expected it was quite difficult to moor in the usual places with a lot of wide beam and some Dutch barges predominating at most mooring sites. In fact there were many such craft dotted around the river tied up in trees. I was amazed at the number of similar boats tied up in Wallingford under the trees above the bridge and the number on the towpath between Iffley and Osney locks.

I didn’t plan to stop in Oxford, a view supported by several lockkeepers, but there wasn’t any space on the 24 hour moorings anyway.

Now here is the interesting point. Is actual pleasure cruising on the river now at an end? If in the past you were moored somewhere like Goring it would be very busy overnight, more or less empty at lunchtime filling up late afternoon with boats cruising most of the day. It now seems that many boats move much less than they used to only moving on when they really have to and a shorter distance as possible.

Is this because of the cost of fuel, older boaters finding it more difficult or having more leisure time to cover a given route or cruising become ancillary to living on the boat? Are some boaters with GRP craft being put off by the presence of so many large steel vessels?

I think it's a combination of all of the above! I have noticed the same when comparing my trio to Lechlade this year to the first time I did that journey 8 years ago. Apart from the bank holiday the river was quiet but lots of moored boats (although there is no struggle to find spaces above Oxford).

I think the general demographic of boaters has changed. Less are on a brief holiday trip trying to go as far as possible in their time off work...more are retired and want to stop at lunch for the day or a few days. I see a lot of advice given about the Thames saying to moor by lunchtime if you want to guarantee a spot to be fair...

Also a lot more liveaboards too who want to stay for a week or 2. ?‍♂️

5 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I last boated up the Thames about ten years ago and this summer I set off from the Wey for a return trip to Lechlade. What an amazing transformation from ten years ago! In mid-August I went most of the way up without sharing any locks. So quickly did we go that it only took half the time it did previously. Much as it made it very easy it is somewhat concerning to see the river so under-used at this time of year. One lock keeper noted that all (local cruising) boats were licenced but a lot were not being used.

Yet as expected it was quite difficult to moor in the usual places with a lot of wide beam and some Dutch barges predominating at most mooring sites. In fact there were many such craft dotted around the river tied up in trees. I was amazed at the number of similar boats tied up in Wallingford under the trees above the bridge and the number on the towpath between Iffley and Osney locks.

I didn’t plan to stop in Oxford, a view supported by several lockkeepers, but there wasn’t any space on the 24 hour moorings anyway.

Now here is the interesting point. Is actual pleasure cruising on the river now at an end? If in the past you were moored somewhere like Goring it would be very busy overnight, more or less empty at lunchtime filling up late afternoon with boats cruising most of the day. It now seems that many boats move much less than they used to only moving on when they really have to and a shorter distance as possible.

Is this because of the cost of fuel, older boaters finding it more difficult or having more leisure time to cover a given route or cruising become ancillary to living on the boat? Are some boaters with GRP craft being put off by the presence of so many large steel vessels?

The visitor moorings in Oxford (on the Thames above Osney lock) were empty Sunday of the Aug bank hol...I think people do respect those ones...

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

I think it's a combination of all of the above! I have noticed the same when comparing my trio to Lechlade this year to the first time I did that journey 8 years ago. Apart from the bank holiday the river was quiet but lots of moored boats (although there is no struggle to find spaces above Oxford).

I think the general demographic of boaters has changed. Less are on a brief holiday trip trying to go as far as possible in their time off work...more are retired and want to stop at lunch for the day or a few days. I see a lot of advice given about the Thames saying to moor by lunchtime if you want to guarantee a spot to be fair...

Also a lot more liveaboards too who want to stay for a week or 2. ?‍♂️

The visitor moorings in Oxford (on the Thames above Osney lock) were empty Sunday of the Aug bank hol...I think people do respect those ones...

It would be great if they do - however it may be more that the lockies monitor them wnd collect any fees due....

Last year we spent a month on the Thames in June/July, and also noticed then that it was quiet. The lock keepers also commented how quiet it was, and of the moving traffic, most were visitors. We always enjoy the Thames, and like the fact that local residents embrace and enjoy their river, which is so different to other rivers and cities where only very few towns and cities make the best of their asset.

14 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Last year we spent a month on the Thames in June/July, and also noticed then that it was quiet. The lock keepers also commented how quiet it was, and of the moving traffic, most were visitors. We always enjoy the Thames, and like the fact that local residents embrace and enjoy their river, which is so different to other rivers and cities where only very few towns and cities make the best of their asset.

I think local boats only come out on sunny weekends?