mayalld

What would you have done?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. If you had encountered this, what would you have done

• Turned the engine off immediately
    • Carried on running the engine as you had intended all along
    • Carried on running the engine until 8pm to teach him a lesson

Featured Posts

You won't rot your hull if you buy an isolating transformer. If you are hooked up, it's much cheaper, using your engine to generate power is inefficient, expensive, polluting and not good for your engine. If you have high power needs you might find you have to run your engine for hours at a time.

Before our hook up we were spending about 50p an hour for red diesel for three or four hours a day for our batteries, that was topped up with solar and wind power. Now we use an electricity card (£4.30) about every ten days. Theres no contest.

Thanks for that info. We are having a hull survey on monday so we can see what condition the hull is in, and I'll ask about an isolating tranformer. Are they easy to fit/install?

ps sorry for hijacking this thread B)

"Rosie", a rather garish green/red/yellow paint job

I think "rather garish" is a total understatement. Never mind him complaining about the noise from your engine, you should have been complaining about the visual noise from his colour scheme!

I think it is sensible if you are in a marina with a hook up facility then you use it, but if you haven't got one, then you can't. We only run ours for a couple of hours tops, always well before 8pm, and never too early.Unlike the license and mooring dodgers we had the mispleasure the stay near in the last few days who didn't care what time they ran their engines, as they seem to have taken over the visitor moorings, and when we went back to collect the car, they had even moved the boats up to ensure no 'visitors' could moor there.I'd rather run my engine for two hours in the day than hog visitor moorings and not pay license fee.

Edited by StoneHenge

I think "rather garish" is a total understatement. Never mind him complaining about the noise from your engine, you should have been complaining about the visual noise from his colour scheme!

I was going to spare you the picture!

This thread has concerened me, and we dont even have our boat yet. :cheers:

We have arranged a permanent mooring in a marina. We both work full time, so will be leaving for work around 7.30 and not getting back till around 6.30. It is unlikley that we will be sailing anywhere other than the weekends and holidays for the foreseeable future. I don't want to be hooked up to the electric point, as we don't want to rot our hull. We will want to run our engine for our batteries.

Now, will we be frowned upon for being weekend sailors, I would love nothing more than to just take off, but for us, for the time being, that isn't really an option. And will we be frowned upon for running our engine? You views are important to me, as we don't want to upset or offend anyone, but it seems that some people are going to be intolerant of us. B)

edited to add, I voted the second option.

Kookie,

You won't rot your hull from connection to a landline if you use an isolating transformer as previously stated. It has to be your easiest solution for maintaining power.

Some people run their engines for a couple of hours a day and some people don't like it.

We don't like mooring next to people who run engines for long periods daily, we use solar panels which provide adequate power most of the year when not travelling. But there are numerous people who will tell you they are an expensive waste of time. However we are quite happy with their performance.

Boatbodger

Yes, we have seen this boat Rosie, complete with the missing person sticker.

It passed us at a fair old lick when we were moored up on the Macc at Br18 and slowed down only when faced with an oncoming boat at the bridge hole. Good to know that his behaviour seems tp be consistent.

The Big Yin

Yes, we have seen this boat Rosie, complete with the missing person sticker.

It passed us at a fair old lick when we were moored up on the Macc at Br18 and slowed down only when faced with an oncoming boat at the bridge hole. Good to know that his behaviour seems tp be consistent.

The Big Yin

Indeed.

Perhaps, as one of the chosen, he is allowed to do such things.

Yeah well, its bloody impressive given the chimeys on these modern houses... Room sealed flu, no problem!!

Daniel

Ahh, that's the magic dust Dan, he's given up doing the chimney's. Something about too many mince pies by the time he's done the 1,000,000 th house, so he uses magic dust to 'poof' in and out.

(that's what the kids tell me anyway - who am I to argue!!)