Battery charging

Dave 2

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dave 2 said:

No I’m just going through the paperwork the only instructions are the ones from Sterling on fitting.

That’s totally remiss of the builder and, as Alan pointed out, contravenes the RCD requirements. 

In the absence of a wiring diagram the only way to know if the BT should be charged by the mains charger will be to follow the wires and draw out your own circuit diagram. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Not if you limited the size of the BT charger cables. Volt drop at high currents down that long run would mean that you’d pull very little through the VSR. Obviously this would limit the start of the charge cycle but it would all catch up in the end. 

Using the cables to limit the current is an interesting approach, but I think I will stick with diodes as so far both batteries have charged just fine and were 8 years old when I changed them.  Actually they still had life in them, but as I got a better price buying with the leisure batts I thought wise to change them, don’t want a dead starter battery in autumn

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s totally remiss of the builder and, as Alan pointed out, contravenes the RCD requirements. 

In the absence of a wiring diagram the only way to know if the BT should be charged by the mains charger will be to follow the wires and draw out your own circuit diagram. 

As the boat builder went bust shortly after delivering the boat I don’t suppose RCD compliance was his first priority.......

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

and if he fitted a 100 amp fuse I suspect he also fitted undersized cable on cost grounds.