Licensing and BSS order of events

jetzi

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

OK I see what you're saying. Not having done a BSS before I wasn't aware of the politics involved - it seems like quite a few BSS examiners have taken it upon themselves to go above and beyond what is stated in the requirements.

What is the RCD? I searched and all I found was this: An RCD, or residual current device, is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. It can also provide some protection against electrical fires. RCDs offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers cannot provide.

I don't use the 240V system anyway so I just disconnected it, leaving one pair of sockets connected (with flexible cable) to the shore line input. The non-flexible wiring is still lying dormant in the walls (but a good few metres away from the input, so it's clearly disconnected). I wanted to leave it in so I could use it to pull through flexible cable when I install the proper 240V system.

The rust was pretty bad. The engineer who replaced our gas regulator and connection put the fear of God into me about gas leaking into my bilge (apart from the BSS requirements) and I immediately that day removed the rust and gave it a good three coats of Danboline. The floor was actually still very solid but I feel much better having done it.

Interesting addition to this - the reason my boat does not have her gas bottles chained is because on Black Prince boats (at least of this era) the gas locker has a plate with a wooden shelf half way up that the bottles slot into, which BP claimed was sufficient to secure the bottles. The inspector actually said that he'd had arguments with BP owners as to whether this was sufficient and insisted on having the bottles chained as well!

I'd actually discounted the possibility of replacing it myself because it looks to require welding, at the points where the silencer penetrates into and out of the "weed hatch compartment" and also in the engine bay where there is a rod holding it in place. Also, since the exhaust is for a boat and entirely internal, I presumed that it would require quite a bit of fabrication as not all boats are going to be shaped such that they could use one off the shelf. It seems like a big job but if I could get by without welding then perhaps it would be possible? I could just cut out the existing silencer, make sure the hole is the right size for the new one, and slot it back in. And after all the exhaust is just three pipes and two elbows - if they are the correct size then surely this shouldn't be hard to fabricate... perhaps I should look more into this?

As always context is everything. In electrical systems rcd is a residual current device, what used to be called an earth leakage trip.  If building or importing a new boat into an eu country it must comply with the ‘Recreational Craft Directive’ which is an umbrella standard referencing many ISO standards, one of which covers AC electrical systems, and this requires stranded cable.

added - assuming your boat is owned by you (so not a share or hired boat) then this may be of interest

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/private-boats/

there is is also a link to the check list that the examiner is required to use.

The examiner can only fail against mandatory items, and give advise on advisory items, but should not fail a boat for an advisory.  They can also give advice based upon their own opinions and preferences for things not included, but again they can not fail your boat for these.

Edited by Chewbacka

6 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

What is the RCD? I searched and all I found was this: An RCD, or residual current device, is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. It can also provide some protection against electrical fires. RCDs offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers cannot provide.

All recreational boats built, bought into, or used in the EU since 1998 must be built and certified compliant with the Recreational Craft Directive.

If your boat was built post 1998 then it should have a CE marked plate quoting all sorts of information, and you should have an RCD approved manual.

The 'rebellious' UK inland waterways boaters tend to try and ignore such 'controlling official bodies'.

But any commercially built boat must comply - there are certain exemptions for 'home builds' but then you cannot sell a home build within 5 years.

ON the continent the RCD is taken very seriously - I managed to get £80,000 knocked off the price of a boat because it did not have its required VAT Paid certificate and the necessary RCD paperwork.

I subsequently managed to get all of the necessary paperwork from the manufacturers (copies of the RCD approvals) and from the Customs office so I could actually take the boat out of the country (Croatia)

This has had several 'updates' over the years  and now states that following any major changes (ie a new engine, changes to gas systems, etc etc) it must be re-certified.

Directive 94/25/EC, as amended by 2003/44/EC, applies to new and second hand recreational craft from 2.5m to 24m in length, personal watercraft, marine propulsion engines and components placed on the market for the first time after 1998. Products excluded from the scope of the Directive include: canoes, kayaks, gondolas, pedalos, sailing surfboards, surfboards, racing boats, historical craft, craft built for own use provided that they are not subsequently placed on the market during a period of five years, commercial vessels carrying passengers (covered by separate legislation), submersibles, air cushion vehicles, hydrofoils, and external combustion steam powered craft.

Products falling within the scope of the Directive must comply with the essential requirements set out in the Annex I. These include requirements for the design and construction of crafts such as boat design categories, craft identification, the owner’s manual, as well as integrity, structural and installation requirements. Other requirements apply to the exhaust and noise emissions from propulsion engines. To comply with the essential requirements, over 60 EN-ISO harmonised standards were developed, which provide guidelines to meet the essential requirements. Using the EN-ISO harmonised standards is voluntary and provides presumption of conformity with the Directive’s requirements. However, manufacturers may choose alternative solutions to comply with the essential requirements.

Harmonised standards for Directive 94/25/EC are developed at international level by the International Organization for Standardization in the ISO Technical Committee 188.

Products which fulfill the Directive's essential requirements must bear the CE marking of conformity. The CE marking must appear in a visible, legible and indelible form on the product or, in the case of small components, its packaging. Where relevant, it should be accompanied by the identification number of the Notified body that carried out the conformity assessment procedures.

In addition to the CE marking, the recreational craft must be accompanied by the following documentations and markings: the boat builder’s plate; craft and engine identification number; owner’s manual; and a written declaration of conformity. These items are necessary for the product to be considered as compliant with the requirements of the Directive.

Notified bodies are appointed at the national level by EU Member States to carry out conformity assessments on boats and engines according to the requirements of the Directive. To assist in the uniform interpretation and application of the Directive, the Recreational Craft Sectoral Group was established in 1995.