Build slots

El Tel

Featured Posts

Hi

im new to narrowboating but have owned a sml river cruiser before so know some things. Looking to sell up after Christmas and move onto a live-aboard 60’ reverse style semi trad but I think I am going to have an issue with build time on a new boat    . Consequently I am looking into what I can get a few years old that is near my spec as I didn’t want to be staying with friends for more than 6 mths. It seems a very busy industry with a builder at the weekend open day quoting me 2 years!!! Fact gathering so far. 

9 minutes ago, El Tel said:

Hi

im new to narrowboating but have owned a sml river cruiser before so know some things. Looking to sell up after Christmas and move onto a live-aboard 60’ reverse style semi trad but I think I am going to have an issue with build time on a new boat    . Consequently I am looking into what I can get a few years old that is near my spec as I didn’t want to be staying with friends for more than 6 mths. It seems a very busy industry with a builder at the weekend open day quoting me 2 years!!! Fact gathering so far. 

Yes, decent builders' lead times can be measured in years. You may be lucky enough to find a cancelled order. Otherwise, the only builders who might be able to fulfil your time stricture are those who build in volume - and they are few in number. I would suggest trying Collingwood (budget-level) or ColeCraft (medium-level).

The second-hand route is probably the one which you should travel. Most second-hand narrowboat brokers advertise their boats on a web site called Apollo Duck Narrowboats. If you want to visit individual brokerages, reputable ones include ABNB and Virginia Currer Marine.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes I think second hand newish may be my better option with some compromise. I have a few visits booked in this year and am taking in loads of info, as a live aboard it’s a serious decision so I want to try and get it right 1st time if I can although any amount of high spend is not to be decided lightly. To be honest I am very impressed with the build quality I have seen at the moment and managed to get aboard 5 boats at Crick. 

Ive just joined here so I’ll be reading through posts to get up to speed

thanks

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Another advantage of a good second hand boat is there is no chance of the builder going 'bust' and taking your money with him.

That is basically what I meant. here is just one case, unfortunately there are others. https://oleanna.co.uk/2019/04/09/the-narrowboat-that-wasnt-court-2019/

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Another advantage of a good second hand boat is you will know it actually exists.

And the inevitable snag list that comes with a new boat has been sorted (hopefully). ?

Also, you need to live with a boat or three before you really know what you want, like & need, and second-hand boats depreciate slowly, unlike the first sale of a new boat.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, cuthound said:

Also, you need to live with a boat or three before you really know what you want, like & need, and second-hand boats depreciate slowly, unlike the first sale of a new boat.

This in spades! We bought our first boat 10 years ago and bought second-hand because although we'd been on lots of different boats (holidays), all that gave us was a list of things we really liked and wanted. Designing your own boat is much much more than that. So draw up your 'must have's', your 'would be nice' list and then haunt the internet, hunt the towpath and go to brokers and see what's out there. We found our boat within a couple of months and it's practially perfect in every way. But if I did want to start again with a new build, I'd now now what changes I'd make in the best of all possible worlds to give us a boat that would fit like a second skin!!