Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Why 12 ?  Anyone know ?   When we were camping with two boats, there was supposed to be 12 on each boat.  I sometimes seemed to have more than the legal number.  and they weren't all boys.

My first introduction to canaling was on a pair of self drive camping boats from UCC at Braunston, organised by a mixed venture scout group in 1973.

For years Belfast was operated as a self-steer hire boat for schools, scouts, youth groups and the like. The boat had 14 berths -12 in the main conversion cabin ( for the youngsters) and two in the back cabin ( for the adult leaders). I have wondered if this arrangement strictly complied with the BoT/ MCA rules on a maximum of 12 passengers - the leaders presumably being designated as crew.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

For years Belfast was operated as a self-steer hire boat for schools, scouts, youth groups and the like. The boat had 14 berths -12 in the main conversion cabin ( for the youngsters) and two in the back cabin ( for the adult leaders). I have wondered if this arrangement strictly complied with the BoT/ MCA rules on a maximum of 12 passengers - the leaders presumably being designated as crew.

Yes, we had 24 kids and two useless teachers, all in the holds.  The crew had the back cabins - it was our home.

I am not sure if it was legal to have an 11 year old boy steering a passenger boat, but he wanted to have a go.  All good fun.