Are boat prices falling? Is it a good time to buy?

DaraHerlihy

Featured Posts

l’ve been following a few boats online with a view to making an offer. Lots seem to have been reduced recently. Just wondering what people’s view of the market is right now. I won’t wait once I’ve found the right boat and I hope both myself and the seller would be satisfied  with the figure we agree, but is now a good time to make the move?

Edited by NB Lola

Good condition, correctly priced boats sell more or less instantly. The ones you are following on lne for ages are probably overpriced by some chancer. I sold a boat in December in less than a week.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, DaraHerlihy said:

Just wondering what people’s view of the market is right now. 

Do you mean house boat ?

A house boat has no engine, normally has a permanent mooring and is generally connected to the sewage, water and electricity systems - a 'floating house'.

Or, do you mean a boat suitable as a liveaboard ?

1 minute ago, DaraHerlihy said:

Quite right Alan, I was looking at a liveaboard 

OK.

My take is that boats suitable for liveaboard use are increasing in price and selling quickly.

As more and more folks get into 'financial problems' and more and more 'youngsters' see boats as a cheap housing option, and unscrupulous brokers sell the 'lifestyle and get your 1st step on home ownership' demand will continue to increase.

It no longer seems that you can go and look at a boat and offer 25% below the asking price as you could a few years ago when it was a buyers-market, it is now "that's the price".

There will always be overpriced and / or 'scrappers' that don't sell quickly (but they will sell in time), you just need to have the cash in a carrier bag, and as soon as you see a boat you like jump in the car and go and buy it.

For a "standard" build "floating cottage" style boat, (say 57 feet to 60 feet), provided it is well presented, I see little evidence prices are falling.

It's possible that some if the higher end, higher priced and generally less run of the mill ones aren't doing quite so well, but decent not to old boats from mid range builders and "fitter-outers" seem to me to be holding up well.

As has always been the case those being advertised at at least £10K to £20K over any realistic valuation will continue to hang about unsold.

• 3 months later...

Would anyone be so kind as to offer a critique on these two. Bearing in mind I know “Number one “ needs a good scrub n paint. 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/steelcraft-70-traditional/605970

But I’m feeling like the more expensive choice “ Home at last “is overpriced when you consider the heating arrangement isn’t popular cos expensive to runAnd it has been advertised for about two months which could be a clue. (Also a bit wary of the Evans and sons hull as I’ve read worrying posts) 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/evans-sons-70-traditional/607737 

Thanks to all.