electric installation - is this right?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Only by people who know what they are talking about, a majority of boaters plug the shore line into the socket on the back of the boat and the other end into the post. Just listen to them, I bet half dont realise its a plug on the boat or why.

And most boats will also have the angled type of fixed plug mounted upside down (angled downwards) which allows rain water into the trailing socket. The fixed plug should be fitted with the hinged lid uppermost so that the shroud on the trailing socket is outside the fixed plug when inserted. I'm surprised that the BSS inspectors don't spot this as it's a safety issue.

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

And most boats will also have the angled type of fixed plug mounted upside down (angled downwards) which allows rain water into the trailing socket. The fixed plug should be fitted with the hinged lid uppermost so that the shroud on the trailing socket is outside the fixed plug when inserted. I'm surprised that the BSS inspectors don't spot this as it's a safety issue.

The BSS have only realised that boats have mains electricity in the past few years

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I'm surprised that the BSS inspectors don't spot this as it's a safety issue.

As I understand it, BSS is about preventing folk from causing a danger to other boats and canal/towpath users as opposed to themselves. This would be why, for example, it took so long to introduce the CO alarm guidance.