EU funding for UK Canal Projects

billS

Featured Posts

Have a walking stick to hand, to jam into the spokes of said errant cyclists bicycle, thereby hurling said errant cyclist towards the cut, at a similar speed to that, which he or she was travelling at.

What a bloody awful thing to say. No wonder the threads you involve yourself in commonly get locked.

• Greenie 1

What a bloody awful thing to say. No wonder the threads you involve yourself in commonly get locked.

Oh dear. Have another look at the post i was answering, then check out the last sentence of post #121. You'll get there in the end. As for getting threads locked, I don't believe I have ever caused that, but I would be interested if you can point me to one where I have been responsible.

Oh dear. Have another look at the post i was answering, then check out the last sentence of post #121. You'll get there in the end. As for getting threads locked, I don't believe I have ever caused that, but I would be interested if you can point me to one where I have been responsible.

I'm capable of reading, thanks. In reply to a question about accommodating disabled people on the towpath, you suggested committing a violent assault on a cyclist. I have no idea what post 121 says since I'm on my mobile and it doesn't show post numbers.

I think you are just looking at this from the perspective of a boater, after all, whatever the state of the towpath we can get around it somehow. To look at from a wider perspective however, over the past couple of days I have passed three people pushing childrens buggies along the towpath and one elderly gent pushing his wife (I presume) in a wheelchair along the well maintained towpath. None of these would have been possible if the towpath here wasn't as good as it is. It is an unfortunate side effect that if you tarmac the towpath errant cyclists will then use it as a speedway but then how do you prevent that whilst still giving access to the disabled?

I know that this has been said before, but that would be regarded as assault, and you would likely end up in prison. I assume you weren't being serious.

I'm capable of reading, thanks. In reply to a question about accommodating disabled people on the towpath, you suggested committing a violent assault on a cyclist. I have no idea what post 121 says since I'm on my mobile and it doesn't show post numbers.

It was a tongue in cheek response to the question posed in the top quote, correctly identified as not being serious in the middle quote. I hope this answers the bottom quote for you. Still waiting to hear about getting posts locked though. Hope this helps.

Several canal restoration and development projects have benefited from EU regional Development funding in the past.

With the possibility of Brexit looming, are any current projects receiving EU money?

Is it likely that any such funding would be immediately replaced by UK government funding should Brexit occur?

Just to remind members what the thread is about.

Please keep the 'politics' boating related.

Please refrain from making silly comments regarding cyclists whether tongue in cheek or not.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Please note I've edited my above response.

Also: both long and short term. As I've put above, our government is not ideologically motivated by projects for social gain. Only financial.

Very true, while I'm no lover of the EU, we signed up for the common market, not another layer of government. My concern is that, as has been said already, all that will probably happen is that the saving will go to make the rich richer, and not into community projects for the good of the common people. (health service, education etc.)

Bob

Judging by Bag O' Bones response, this thread would be a contender. I have better things to do than trawl through old locked threads for your benefit.

It was a tongue in cheek response to the question posed in the top quote, correctly identified as not being serious in the middle quote. I hope this answers the bottom quote for you. Still waiting to hear about getting posts locked though. Hope this helps.

Very true, while I'm no lover of the EU, we signed up for the common market, not another layer of government. My concern is that, as has been said already, all that will probably happen is that the saving will go to make the rich richer, and not into community projects for the good of the common people. (health service, education etc.)

Bob

This is the exact point. I'm no particular lover of the Union or the Commision. Not open, not democratic, probably corrupt. But still the best chance we have of ensuring the continuation of projects of social value, rather an economic value.

A sad indictment of our successive governments over the last 35 years or so.

• Greenie 2

This is the exact point. I'm no particular lover of the Union or the Commision. Not open, not democratic, probably corrupt. But still the best chance we have of ensuring the continuation of projects of social value, rather an economic value.

A sad indictment of our successive governments over the last 35 years or so.

Have to agree. I think there is something in the English mind that dislikes or mistrusts everyone else hence the cameras everywhere, the near impossibility of getting through a single day without breaking several nitpicking rules or bylaws and the hatred we heap on everyone from single parent families to continuous cruisers. Actually trying to improve the lot of society or accommodating peoples needs is seen as going soft on somebody or other. It is certainly not Utopia across the channel but we find it a lot more pleasant to go boating there, no angry gits yelling slow down, nobody telling you you've overstayed for half an hour, no curtains twitching as you go past, I'm afraid that without the EU to protect us we could be living in our own Orwellian nightmare. (being a bit deliberately provocative there, don't want to stop the thread so please don't explode!)

Just to remind members what the thread is about.

Please keep the 'politics' boating related.

Please refrain from making silly comments regarding cyclists whether tongue in cheek or not.

This ^^^^. Just deleted more off topic content. If you want to discuss politics there are other places on the web you can do that. If you want to play games there are other places on the web you can do that.

Here you go. http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/top-40-best-free-games-you-should-play-today-695473

Edited by Lady Muck