Cyclists bad attitude or selfish

b0atman

Featured Posts

I notice that today on face book sites 1 dog and 1 cat run over by cyclists in separate incidents .

In my travels the number of cycle barriers that I have seen in 100% working order is minimal most seem to have large parts of them missing .

The best stretch is the natural towpath west of Bingley this is lovely and bumpy and seems to slow the cyclists down.

it is also the perfect habitat for Voles, Great Crested Newts & the odd Beaver on holiday from Scotland.

In my travels the number of cycle barriers that I have seen in 100% working order is minimal most seem to have large parts of them missing .

Are there many "cycle barriers" that are actually intended to stop cycles getting through, though?

The original intention of virtually all towpath barriers I have ever seen, was surely that cycles could pass, but motor bikes or other powered vehicles could not.

Admittedly the fact that many of these gates are incomplete means cycles can now pass without all the "faff" that their original design forced you to go through, but I don't think many were ever intended to ban cyclists from a particular length of tow-path, were they?

I thought the intention was that cyclists dismounted and lifted cycles over or as I have seen balanced them on the back wheel and manoeuvred the through.

The Barrier is to the constant cycling not to prohibit.

I thought the intention was that cyclists dismounted and lifted cycles over or as I have seen balanced them on the back wheel and manoeuvred the through.

But the intention is not, I believe to inhibit cyclists - it is to keep motor bikes off.

Forcing cyclists to dismount at those barriers was a consequence of trying to keep motorbikes off, but not why they were put there in the first place. If a cyclist can get past, just slowing them at the occasional pinch point is hardly likely to impact their progress elsewhere.

As an aside, many in the approaches to London were supposed to be able to allow you to dismount, but then push the bike through a hole that was made broadly "bike shaped", so clearly the intention was you could pass without massive hold up. Unfortunately, if you had any or all of upward extensions on your handlebars, panniers, of low down derailluer gears, then the bike fouled, and you ended up having to carry it over the water around the end of the barriers - a very dangerous activity, sometimes. This may be why some of the gates that used to use Radar keys, for people in wheelchairs or mobility scooter then got removed. Unfortunately, at that point the motor bikes again got full access :banghead:

I see where your coming from but towpaths have moved on with sustrans input and I am afraid it is nearly as bad as motorbikes in some areas.So something will have to be done soon or do we wait for a few deaths first.

So does that mean "constant cycling" is not allowed? Is there a limit to how far a cyclist may cycle before he has to stop cycling, dismount, and then remount and start again?

Would cycling, non stop, back and forth between two barrirers, be considered constant cycling, or would that be allowed within the rules?

biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

If cycling back and forth between the same two spots regularly (bridge hopping/pedalling) could be outlawed that should sort it out ;)

The worst offenders are the commuter cyclists. Some of them really do need to be [insert action here]

Yes ok I know they are saving the planet but they are completely wrecking the towpath in some areas specially in London where a canal towpath should be a public amenity not a fekkin tosser race track.

/rant mode off/:

And... Relax

Was the dog on a lead and under control?

Was the cat on a lead and under control???

Links to the actual stories, please, its a bit hasty to blame the cyclist when the dog/cat may have caused the collision.

But if the cyclist wasn't going at break neck speed like they do outside my boat it may not have happened

Darren

Edited by ChimneyChain

Was the dog on a lead and under control?

Was the cat on a lead and under control???

Will you ask these questions when a small child is hospitalised by an idiot cyclist?

IMO its the cyclist who should be on a lead

• Greenie 3

But if the cyclist wasn't going at break neck speed like they do outside my boat it may not have happened

Darren

Will you ask these questions when a small child is hospitalised by an idiot cyclist?

IMO its the cyclist who should be on a lead

I'll ask again - lets have a link to the ACTUAL report of what happened, before blaming the cyclists in question. Yes, some cyclists go too fast, that's understood. No, I'd not want to see a small child hospitalised. BUT I'm not going to jump to conclusions without seeing the FACTS myself. You might want to contribute an emotive rant, I'll prefer to base my thoughts on proper evidence.

There are good & bad & just plain unsociable boaters, cyclists, dog owners/walkers, fishermen, police officers, CRT wardens, parking wardens, politicians, clergy.........

• Greenie 4

I'm not one for banning things but I really feel that a major incident is on the cards. Cyclists aren't allowed on pavements, which are generally wider and less hazardous than the average towpath. More and more towpaths are being tarmaced enabling cyclists to go faster. There are no humps or anything to reduce speed, not even any signs to indicate that cyclist should go at anything less than breakneck speed.

I appreciate that cycling brings many benefits to many people and possibly, wider society. But to completely abandon any thoughts of safety of others just because it's the 'in' thing is, to me, ridiculous.

I speak as a motor cyclist who keeps his bike on his boat but never, even when it's quiet, rides his bike on the towpath. I always push it.

• Greenie 1

I'm not one for banning things but I really feel that a major incident is on the cards. Cyclists aren't allowed on pavements, which are generally wider and less hazardous than the average towpath. More and more towpaths are being tarmaced enabling cyclists to go faster. There are no humps or anything to reduce speed, not even any signs to indicate that cyclist should go at anything less than breakneck speed.

I appreciate that cycling brings many benefits to many people and possibly, wider society. But to completely abandon any thoughts of safety of others just because it's the 'in' thing is, to me, ridiculous.

I speak as a motor cyclist who keeps his bike on his boat but never, even when it's quiet, rides his bike on the towpath. I always push it.

Has anyone here cycled the Entire Length of the T & M?....I have, and believe me, the state of the towpath in many areas will keep you at a walking pace anyway, outside that, as far as I'm aware, don't all bikes sold have to have a bell installed to them anyway......mine did....

Has anyone here cycled the Entire Length of the T & M?....I have, and believe me, the state of the towpath in many areas will keep you at a walking pace anyway, outside that, as far as I'm aware, don't all bikes sold have to have a bell installed to them anyway......mine did....

Whereas the upper Peak Forest is perfect smooth tarmac, ideal for time trials.

For Paul C go look at Facebook Narrowboat Users Group and I hope none of yours are involved in any cycling related mishap.

Come on it must be time to cut the Hawthorn.

Or just don't get out of the way. Pedestrian priority as the signs say. The cyclists will have to slow down and go past carefully.

As far as inconsiderate boaters and fishermen I can't see much likelihood of them putting someone in hospital - unless a fisherman beats up a boater for spoliling his swim on a Sunday morning :rolleyes:

Fast moving bicycles are physically dangerous and therefore inappropriate on a towpath. I would say the same about tine trialing joggers to be fair its not just bikes. Anyone who can not stop in the event of an unexpected event (animal or human moving sideways for example) should not be on the towpath.

"Stingers" are better :)

Quite

I was thinking of nailing 4x4" pieces of timber to a prayer mat, 10" apart with a 6" nail.

This could quite easily be rolled up and stored on the roof,and deployed on the towpath when required.

Should kill two birds with one stone.