Gas bubble tester

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

I bought one of these on recomendation from the surveyor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281168947256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have been trying to figure out how to actually mount it and put it inline, Or have I bought the wrong thing?

I can't really get any materials to mount it as I was going to use some alloy box section and brackets but homebase here is pretty

bloody useless.

So how will I be able to get this stupid thing installed in my locker?

thanks in advance....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281168947256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have been trying to figure out how to actually mount it and put it inline, Or have I bought the wrong thing?

I can't really get any materials to mount it as I was going to use some alloy box section and brackets but homebase here is pretty

bloody useless.

So how will I be able to get this stupid thing installed in my locker?

thanks in advance....

Unless you have 8mm copper piping in your locker, (and imperial is far more common), the one you picture may not plumb directly into what you have without changing the compression fittings on it.

8mm doesn't sound big enough anyway, if you have any appliances on the end of it that have serious gas consumption.

It's a small Flavel vanessa gas stove, alan

and no, I don't have copper gas pipe in my locker, I have orange hose thats connected to a spigot with a small jubile clip.

Edited by Dar Kuma

Ours is in the gas locker. We glued a block of plywood to the locker bulkhead and fitted the bubble tester to it along with valve. Really easy to test for leaaks. We do have a wide beam so quite a spacious gas locker with 3 bottles, but it should be able to fit somewhere in a n/b locker I would have thought.

DSCF1331.jpg

It's a small Flavel vanessa gas stove, alan

and no, I don't have copper gas pipe in my locker, I have orange hose thats connected to a spigot with a small jubile clip.

I'm guessing your regulator goes straight onto the bottle, then low pressure orage hose goes onto the regulator at one end, and on to your spigot at the other end?

Is that right?

If so, what is the spigot connected to, and how does any low pressure gas pipe actually exit from the gas locker to the rest of the boat?

A picture might save a lot of words, here!

yes the regulator goes straight onto the bottle, orange hose goes onto the spigot inside the locker then inside the boat it is copper pipe to the stove and hot water heater.

forgot to mention the water heater...

I'll upload a picture so gimmie a few mins.

Just had a "Google" , and it seems versions are available where adaptors are supplied that turn the compression fitting outlets into hose connectors......

Linky.

forgot to mention the water heater...

If you have a Morco, (or similar), you usually need not to have any small bore piping in the supply from the bottle.

Does your "stove" incorporate an oven?

The gas requirements if you have hob burners and an oven running will start to be very demanding if the Morco kicks in at the same time too!

Anything in the feed to these appliances needs to be able to pass enough gas without a serious fall in pressure at the devices.

It's a palomar / morco yes.

I don't think my stove has an oven as I couldn't locate how to use that function allthough it has it on the stove?

I have the spigot adaptors for the tester in the box.

the surveyor said it was all fine apart from not having a tester in line.

I'm currently drying out the gas locker to repaint it hence why I'm trying to get it all sorted in one shot rather than keep going

back to it.

gas_zps8610a9d0.png

Edited by Dar Kuma

This is like pulling teeth....

I have 2 spigots/nozzles which came with the tester, connecting the tester is very easy.

I'm looking at how to mount the tester inline with the hose without using bits of wood or making it look like a mess or left dangling in the fking wind.

bearing in mind I don't have any power tools or a manual drill.

thank you.

Edited by Dar Kuma

I have 2 spigots/nozzles which came with the tester, connecting the tester is very easy.

To be fair though, your original post did not show a tester that included adaptors for connecting to rubber hose, and actually asked if you had bought the wrong thing!

You also seemed to indicate you were not clear "how to put it inline".

I think it is fair to assume most thought you wanted to know more than how to "stick" it to the bulkhead.

If you are not clear yourself, then you should be patient with others who may have misunderstood the question, but are non-the-less still making best endeavours to try and help you. The "pulling teeth" comment is uncalled for, and would put me off trying to answer other queries you raise.

the surveyor said it was all fine apart from not having a tester in line.

I'm deeply puzzled by this. A bubble tester is an optional accessory, not a compulsory feature.

A gas installation without a bubble tester is perfectly capable of being 'fine'.

MtB

Hey, you mentioned leaving it blowing in the fkin wind, was only pointing out where that would get you. I'll leave you to it then

Hoose read the post again you moron.

I said without it hanging in the wind.

I know full well you can't just let it dangle there.

I'm looking at how to mount the tester inline with the hose without using bits of wood or making it look like a mess or left dangling in the fking wind.

bearing in mind I don't have any power tools or a manual drill.

thank you.

I'll translate for you:

"I want to do the job properly but without having suitable tools or obtaining the correct materials, in a hurry on a Sunday."

Does that about cover it?

ninja.gif

MtB

I have been trying to figure out how to actually mount it and put it inline,

easy enough to understand I think, how to mount it so it can be put inline.

I had to fit one on mine last week mike for Bss, only test point on my system was on my 25 yr old boiler and he was terrified of undoing it and shearing it off, it happens to him before apparently and cost him £300 to repair . Mine is mounted in gas locker on a nice sturdy metal bracket and bolted through into adjacent compartment. Needed to beg the use of a vice from local boatyard to bend bracket to shape. It's a proper job and would include photo if I could ( be bothered)

I'm deeply puzzled by this. A bubble tester is an optional accessory, not a compulsory feature.

A gas installation without a bubble tester is perfectly capable of being 'fine'.

MtB

It says "on the recommendation of the surveyor", so maybe he has not been told he must have it, just that that is a good idea.

That would exactly echo what the BSS Office says about them, (provided there is a manometer point there somewhere as well, of course, and, as has been said, the Morco will have one of those).