Gas pipe alongside coal stove

DeanS

Featured Posts

A friend is installing a coal stove in the corner of his boat, on the same side where a gas line (without any joints) runs along/under the gunnel. If he were to install a sheet of wood, an airgap, 25mm of fireboard, and ceramic tiles, would this be enough protection for the gas piping ?

I understand that all pipe joints must be accessible for inspection. I was also advised that all pipework should be able to be checked for the presence of joints visually, and any concealing panels should be removable without the need for tools. This second bit might be for RCD rather than BSS.

Evidently from Bones' description there may be some leeway.

Surely the thing to do for all these BSS questions is to ask the BSS rather than asking the forum?

I checked up on this point specifically when installing the gas on my last boat. Counter-intuitively, the gas pipe needs no protection. Gas inside a pipe does not ignite no matter how hot it gets, as there is no oxygen.

The BSS view on this may have changed in the intervening 12 years though. Rob might advise.

MtB

I checked up on this point specifically when installing the gas on my last boat. Counter-intuitively, the gas pipe needs no protection. Gas inside a pipe does not ignite no matter how hot it gets, as there is no oxygen.

The BSS view on this may have changed in the intervening 12 years though. Rob might advise.

MtB

Great. He's going over the top with protection, so that should be fine. I'll tell him to keep a removable panel for inspection.

A friend is installing a coal stove in the corner of his boat, on the same side where a gas line (without any joints) runs along/under the gunnel. If he were to install a sheet of wood, an airgap, 25mm of fireboard, and ceramic tiles, would this be enough protection for the gas piping ?

Any update on your cooker hose?

Or is that for a friend as well?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Any update on your cooker hose?

Or is that for a friend as well?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

LOL. The cooker hose is for me. :) I had piped my cooker in with fixed copper, but the BSS guy wants it changed. I have to go through that thread and decide what to order.

Uh, ok.

When helping friends with gas, bear in mind in some cases (like liveaboard) any work 'for reward' by law must be done by a registered gas bod. Or you could get prosecuted, especially if it goes TU and there's a serious accident sad.png

Even if done for free it must be done 'competently' eg as well as a registered gas bod should do it. This all comes from the GSIUR regulations:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/contents/made

Don't like to put a downer on things but it's best to be careful. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Uh, ok.

When helping friends with gas, bear in mind in some cases (like liveaboard) any work 'for reward' by law must be done by a registered gas bod. Or you could get prosecuted, especially if it goes TU and there's a serious accident sad.png

Even if done for free it must be done 'competently' eg as well as a registered gas bod should do it. This all comes from the GSIUR regulations:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/contents/made

Don't like to put a downer on things but it's best to be careful. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Nope, I'm not installing gas, only fitting some fireboard and doing tiling :)

LOL. The cooker hose is for me. smile.png I had piped my cooker in with fixed copper, but the BSS guy wants it changed. I have to go through that thread and decide what to order.

Dean,I assume your cooker is free standing, BSS would class it as portable and would require a hose. If your cooker is a fixed installation you can use fixed copper.

The gas pipe on my boat runs behind my SFS at a distance of about 10-15cms from the stove. It is not covered or protected by anything.

When the BSS examiner got the this part I asjed him if it was a problem. He said it was no problem and he's seen it a lot closer on other boats. As MtB says, there is no safety issue at all.

The gas pipe on my boat runs behind my SFS at a distance of about 10-15cms from the stove. It is not covered or protected by anything.

When the BSS examiner got the this part I asjed him if it was a problem. He said it was no problem and he's seen it a lot closer on other boats. As MtB says, there is no safety issue at all.

Nice to know. I would have thought that if there was a connection (leak) or a hairline crack, that leaking gas near a coal stove could spell disaster, but interesting that most haven't seen this as an issue.

Nice to know. I would have thought that if there was a connection (leak) or a hairline crack, that leaking gas near a coal stove could spell disaster, but interesting that most haven't seen this as an issue.

If you have a leaking gas pipe it doesn't really matter where it is relative to the stove. One could argue that it would be better for leaking gas to ignite as a flame at the leak rather than quietly filling the bilge until the proportions are just right then blowing the whole boat up.

As dor says, a leak shouldn't be there. Categorising where in a boat a gas leak is more, or less, acceptable would be madness!

And there shouldn't be 'a connection' there, unless it's a tee or a bulkhead fitting. There is a requirement to have no 'unnecessary' fittings.

MtB