Flexihose on gas cooker

DeanS

Featured Posts

I have a 1/2" gas pipe run along the boat which drops through a reducer to 3/8"....to a T-piece. One side of the T-piece goes off to the gas heater. The other goes to the gas cooker. I need to replace the hard piping to the back of the cooker with a flexihose.

I presume something like this is what I need...screwing directly into the 1/2" connection on the cooker....and the other side connected to the 3/8" piping after the gas isolator...which is currently between the T piece and the cooker.

Does anyone have a good idea of what I need to order?

;-)

It's needed to keep the BSS inspector happy. You cant have fixed gas piping if the cooker is deemed a "moveable item".

Is it a full size movable cooker? If so then maybe use a full size hose instead of micropoint (MtB?), previous page on BES website:

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/005b.asp

If you're going from 1/2 BSP female socket on the cooker to 3/8 pipework, a reasonable typical list of bits could be:

Bayonet x 1/2 BSP taper male LPG cooker hose, length and straight or angled to suit

Bayonet x 1/2 BSP taper male hose socket, straight or angled to suit.

1/2 BSP parallel female x 3/8 compression fitting with copper olive, eg Wade 7088/11 (not in BES)

Couple of spare 3/8 parallel copper olives for the compression fitting, just in case

Cooker restraint chain and bracket kit.

Gas grade PTFE tape, the thick stuff

Leak detector spray

If you're going to DIY it would be very well worth getting a registered gas bod or someone equally competent to check it over when you've finished. Better still get a registered gas bod to fit the bits.

Try and post a few pics of what's there, might make it easier to narrow down the first two items on the list. Also have a look for the last four items on the BES website, and post the part numbers for a quick look see.

BTW who did the install of the cooker to solid pipe originally? Usually there's stuff in the manufacturers instructions that needs to be checked as part of the installation, if the install is suspect other stuff have got missed out.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I have a 1/2" gas pipe run along the boat which drops through a reducer to 3/8"....to a T-piece. One side of the T-piece goes off to the gas heater. The other goes to the gas cooker. I need to replace the hard piping to the back of the cooker with a flexihose.

I presume something like this is what I need...screwing directly into the 1/2" connection on the cooker....and the other side connected to the 3/8" piping after the gas isolator...which is currently between the T piece and the cooker.

Does anyone have a good idea of what I need to order?

;-)

It's needed to keep the BSS inspector happy. You cant have fixed gas piping if the cooker is deemed a "moveable item".

So just to clarify, your cooker is a free-standing, movable cooker then?

I'd be inclined to use a full sized LPG bayonet cooker hose if I were you. The micro bayonet is for 'leisure appliances' like barbeques etc but will work ok if the heat input according to the cooker data label is low enough. Bear in mind LPG cooker hoses are a different material from natural gas cooker hoses and have a red line marked along the length of them to distinguish them from NG hoses.

Why was your moveable cooker ever connected in rigid copper?!

MtB

P.S. if you actually have a built in, permanently fixed hob and oven then none of the above applies.

Am I correct that this all only applies to a cooker that is free standing?

Actually, it is only a BSS requirement where the appliance connected is portable.

However we say, Flexible hose can be used to connect the installation pipework to a gimballed cooking appliance to allow for the movement. Other

appliances such as your cooker or refrigerator can be connected by hose for ease of installation, cleaning or servicing.

So it can make sense.

If hose is to be used, there are several other factors that need to be taken account of including the isolation valve, the connection support, its accessibility, the hose qualities and condition, its length, the hose run, possible heat sources and appliance security too.

The details are in Parts 7 and 8 of the Examination Checking Procedures.

Regards

Actually, it is only a BSS requirement where the appliance connected is portable.

However we say, Flexible hose can be used to connect the installation pipework to a gimballed cooking appliance to allow for the movement. Other

appliances such as your cooker or refrigerator can be connected by hose for ease of installation, cleaning or servicing.

So it can make sense.

If hose is to be used, there are several other factors that need to be taken account of including the isolation valve, the connection support, its accessibility, the hose qualities and condition, its length, the hose run, possible heat sources and appliance security too.

The details are in Parts 7 and 8 of the Examination Checking Procedures.

Regards

There were a couple of good reasons we used a gas bayonet hose to fit the built in oven. Should it have been fitted with rigid pipe it would have meant fitting the oven then connecting it then paneling/lining over the back of it. Should we ever need to replace the oven, the lining & Oak trim would all need to be removed causing a lot of work.

With a hose though the oven can be unscrewed and slid forward enough to access the bayonet fitting and disconnect to completely remove the oven. The hob is rigidly connected though, but of course now it can easily be accessed and removed once the oven is cleared. So now we could refit a similar oven and hob system with little effort.

Reason 2 for fitting a bayonet fitting is should we completely dispense with a fully fitted hob & Oven there's a bayonet ready to fit a free standing cooker too.

A chain? never seen a cooker restrained by a chain.

All freestanding cookers need some sort of securing device and a chain is simplest. A cooker in a house without one is classified as 'At Risk' and will fail a landlord gas safety inspection!

I agree though, lots don't have them. You just haven't encountered a correctly installed cooker yet.

MtB

a f888ing chain? show me a picture of a cooker, secured with a chain. esspecialy in a house....

honestly

edit to add, I lived in rented accomodation before, and no cooker was ever secured.

chained down,to avoid theft maybe..

Edited by luctor et emergo

A chain? never seen a cooker restrained by a chain.

A chain is quite common in domestic installations - our range cooker is on a flexi gas pipe but restrained with a chain

To gain access to the back of the cooker (which I never have) you simply unhook it as it is on a small carabiner

I would show you a picture but I ain't moving that thing it weighs over 120kg

a f888ing chain? show me a picture of a cooker, secured with a chain. esspecialy in a house....

honestly

edit to add, I lived in rented accomodation before, and no cooker was ever secured.

chained down,to avoid theft maybe..

True, they should be fixed to a back wall to stop them being pulled or falling forward. Usually units either side will secure sideways movement.

Imagine a child climbing up the front, he/she could easily pull a cooker over. Unlikely but possible