Keeping boiler stove in over night

fudd

Featured Posts

I have just installed a Morsø Squirrel with back boiler and a few rads. Works a treat. But I'm having trouble keeping it in over night. I understand that there could be problems because of the boiler taking heat out of the fuel. Is there a knack to it, or maybe there is a favoured sort of fuel?

Steve P

These matters are subjective and what works well for one may prove a total failure on another boat - mostly we burn natural Anthracite (small nuts) which produces very little ash and provides generous heat. As a natural fuel the quality varies slightly but generally, before retiring, we open the vents for half an hour or so to get it nice and warm and burning evenly, then we riddle it thoroughly, charge it with fuel (almost to the top of the front retaining grates) and shut it down by closing both vents fully then cracking both open by about three quarters of a turn. We also fill the kettle and leave it on top of the stove so that by morning it is almost hot enough for our coffees.

We have three radiators running off our back boiler and the Squirrel provides more than enough warmth even when it is freezing hard outside. What is really nice is to have a home made soup or hotpot slow cooking on top of the stove during the depths of Winter.

Inspired by Alnwick's espousal of anthracite over the years, we have some to try this winter.

On our old boat, which had a Squirrel, the trick was to not under fill it. If there was to be any hope of warmth in the morning, you had to fill it right up, and riddle it to remove some of the ash before leaving it for the night, otherwise the fire choked itself overnight.

On my woodwarm stove with backboiler, I first give it a little riddle last thing at night and put a layer of wildfire on and leave the air vents fully open for 5-10 minutes to let the wildfire catch then I close the (Primary) bottom air vent and close the Secondary (Top/side) vent 95% closed. This on my stove works without fail.

You really need to experiment with different fuels and different air settings. If the fire has gone out in the morning and unburnt fuel left you need to have the air vent more open. If it's burnt all the fuel = less air vent open.

Jamescheers.gif

my own Squirrel would stay in all night no problem, just before bed I would make up the fire with anthracite let it burn for about 5 minutes then add the ashpan contents on top of the nuts, closed the top air and left bottom 1 turn open. next morning a light rake through and add some wood and smokeless coal with the bottom door open until the wood caught and then shut the bottom door opening the top air ½ a turn

I can keep my very small boatmans stove in all night so for you it must just be about having the 'nack' and getting the air vents open the correct amount.

Aah, but how many rads are you serving Sean?

my own Squirrel would stay in all night no problem, just before bed I would make up the fire with anthracite let it burn for about 5 minutes then add the ashpan contents on top of the nuts, closed the top air and left bottom 1 turn open. next morning a light rake through and add some wood and smokeless coal with the bottom door open until the wood caught and then shut the bottom door opening the top air ½ a turn

Have you got a back boiler?

I am serving.......None, I don't have a back boiler. Does that make all the difference?

Hello Sean. Yes it does. The water in the boiler takes the heat away. We use more fuel than before because of that. We are heating the whole boat now. The problem is, I think, that the boiler takes the heat away and then if you don't put enough fuel on it, it won't draw and goes out. We had no problem at all before the back boiler was fitted.

Many of us (who are a bit older) grew up with solid fuel and take it for granted but it is becoming obvious that many boaters under the age of sixty, do not encounter a solid fuel stove until they acquire their boat. There are a few simple rules that will help in the safe management of a solid fuel stove:

Keep the stove clean and well maintained - this is the best way to avoid accidental fires and dangerous fumes inside the boat.

Do not light a stove that is faulty, cracked or has defective seals - deaths from toxic fumes are far too frequent.

Remove ash before it builds up too close to the grate - if ash builds up the iron grate can buckle and burn - iron will burn if it gets hot enough and a collapsed grate can cause a fire!

Choose a fuel that is low in ash and tar - most smokeless fuels are low in tar but manufactured ovoids can produce excessive ash. Unseasoned (wet) wood is unsuitable and will leave corrosive tar deposits in the flue and on the exterior of the boat.

Edited by NB Alnwick