Victron Inverter Aborption Light

Chateaubateau

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm relatively new to this boating malarkey and have a question about my inverter. I have just had all my batteries replaced after one 'exploded', the boat is now hooked up to the mains, the inverter switched to charge, and the yellow 'Absorption' light is on. I assume that this is charging my new batteries up. The question is, will the charging automatically stop when the batteries are fully charged because it's eating the lecky at an alarming rate at the moment and I don't want to cook my new batteries.

Any advice or reassurance would be most welcome

Thanks

Shouldn't take longer than 8hrs say during which the eleccy use should drop.

If any of the batts are getting hot it'd be best to switch the charger off at the mains, could be a loose connection.

What absorption charge voltage is the Victron set to, and what type batts are they? (sealed maintenance free, unsealed, leisure etc...) Also are you able to monitor the charge current going into the batts?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

This should tell you all you need to know.

The absorption light will stay on all the time the batteries are requiring it. Once the charge is "finished" the float light will come on and continue a minimal charge.

Linky

What does that do, does it fix the output voltage at say 13.8V so it's more like a constant voltage power supply?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I have 'cruising settings' of No Battery Type, Charge Curve Fixed, Absorption @ 14.40v, Float @ 13.80v and charge rate at 90a. However, I find that after about 3 days on a shoreline my Smartguage will show an overcharge error.

So on shoreline I switch to Adaptive + Battery Safe which gives fixed settings of 14.20v abs, 13.60v float. The most obvious thing on this setting is that it switches to float before the batteries are at 100% but after a couple of hours will switch back to absorption. It keeps doing this until they get to 100%.

Regards

Pete