Sterling Combi Low Charger Output

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

A friend has just asked me, and I have absolutely no idea why, so I thought I'd ask the good people here.

He's running a Sterling Combi-S Inverter charger 24V rated at 35A charge.

It's in bulk at the moment, 26.9V so should be running full chat. It's putting out 19.6A, while we had a cuppa and a natter it didn't really shift , maybe 0.2A or so.

So why does a charger rated at 35A put out 20A?

The cables are one metre fat buggers, there's no provision for sense wires and all connections seem sound.

Any ideas please?

Ideas?

1/ Measurement instrument is lying.

2/ There is thermal protection that reduces current when it gets hot - either the hot weather or fan failure is making it reduce more than normal

3/ its is configured in the settings to have reduced output (but don't know if this particular model has that sort of feature)

4/ its broken!

Ask if the yellow fast charge light is flashing or continuous.

In bulk (constant yellow) on mine I see 105 amps (100 amp rating) and up to 15.2 volts for less than a minute (unless batteries are well discharged) before it drops to constant voltage mode where it holds the 14.8 volt absorb (flashing yellow) setting.

These batteries are well discharged (judging by the 26.9V reading) but I will ask about the lights.

It's a Sterling battery monitor. But my next step is to ask him to take voltage measurements at both sets of terminals. (o for Le Fluke)

I don't think the output is reduceable, there are simply voltage settings for different types of battery but I assume they wouldn't make a difference in bulk, although I did tell him to try.

This is not helped by the fact that Mr Sterling was rude to him because he's not an electrical expert.

This is not helped by the fact that Mr Sterling was rude to him because he's not an electrical expert.

I think that's slightly unfair, Mr Sterling does have some electrical knowledge even though I wouldn't buy his products!

I think that's slightly unfair, Mr Sterling does have some electrical knowledge even though I wouldn't buy his products!

I think you need to read Chris's response again Nick wink.png

Regarding Charles Sterling, yes lacks a few personal skills but few can deny his business success or after sales service for that matter.

Our Sterling Inverter will only allow a certain amount of charge into the batteries - i think its a fail safe thing so they don't fry............it will say in the booklet if hes got one. Without checking I cant confirm what that would be on ours but I do know that once it hits 17A it will stop charging.

As for Mr Sterling - does your friend sound female cos hes only usually rude to the fairer sex!

Edited by tillergirl

Our Sterling Inverter will only allow a certain amount of charge into the batteries - i think its a fail safe thing so they don't fry............it will say in the booklet if hes got one. Without checking I cant confirm what that would be on ours but I do know that once it hits 17A it will stop charging.

As for Mr Sterling - does your friend sound female cos hes only usually rude to the fairer sex!

An inverter won't put anything into the batteries since it only takes current from the batteries to produce AC. I assume therefore you are referring to a Combi (combined charger/inverter). This may sound picky but its important for others to understand your post.

The situation of the charger part apparently stopping at 17 amps is simply the device changing from absorb to float modes which just happens at that current with your particular battery setup. The charger is still running although the charge current will have dropped dramatically due to the lower float voltage.

BTW I understand Charles Sterling is an equal opportunities sort of guy so can be equally blunt to either sex rolleyes.gif

Edited by by'eck