Alternatives to Shurflo water pump?

George94

Featured Posts

My 2.8 US gpm Shurflow AquaKing water pressure pump has started to leak. Previous threads on this pump say it is a common problem after a few years. The pump is supplied from a clean, debris-free, plastic water tank (food grade) and is always warm, so there is no cause to fail, other than age. It is 6 or 7 years old, I believe.

This sounds like either poor design/materials, or deliberate built-in obsolescence. Either way, I would like to consider alternatives before replacing/repairing it.

Does anybody have any suggestions for better pumps that don't cost the earth?

Thanks.

Thanks, Allan.

I've been looking around, and coming to the view that a Whale would probably be the best (with a cost to match), but the Jabsco is, as you say, very competitively priced. And if it's also better made than the Sureflo, I will go for that.

Cheers.

My Shurflow is over 9 years old and has been neglected somewhat (it sat on the boat in two of the coldest winters in living memory.) It did start to leak last year and I thought it was probably knackered, but tried tightening the body screws up with a pozi driver. It hasn't leaked since.

Another problem I had with it was that the pressure switch was cutting in and out at random, so I turned the setting screw back an forth a few times and it was an instant cure.

My Shurflow is over 9 years old and has been neglected somewhat (it sat on the boat in two of the coldest winters in living memory.) It did start to leak last year and I thought it was probably knackered, but tried tightening the body screws up with a pozi driver. It hasn't leaked since.

Another problem I had with it was that the pressure switch was cutting in and out at random, so I turned the setting screw back an forth a few times and it was an instant cure.

I originally tried to tighten a couple of accessible screws when I first found the problem, but they seemed reasonably tight. Having read your post I manhandled the pump into a better position, and tightened all the screws. Some were not tight at all.

The frequent drip has now reduced to a very occasional one, which is a result. I have placed a bowl under the pump, and the situation should be under control until the Jabsco arrives next week.

Thanks for all suggestions.

You can just use a 12v car auxiliary bosch pump, I picked up a couple for £1 each off broken cars. They need a pressure switch, but they're rated to 20,000 hours so last ages.

Casp'

Now you tell me!

Might be just the thing for my solar hot water project, though.

You can just use a 12v car auxiliary bosch pump, I picked up a couple for £1 each off broken cars. They need a pressure switch, but they're rated to 20,000 hours so last ages.

Casp'

Interesting. Could you enlarge on that a bit please, ie where are these found on cars and what purpose do they serve?

Many thanks.

Does anybody have any suggestions for better pumps that don't cost the earth?

Not really, I would reseal around the edge of the diaphragm with some Fernox LS-X jointing compound, should be an easy 1/2hr to 1hr job.

Also fit a relay between pressure switch and pump motor to prolong the electrical life of the pressure switch.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Not really, I would reseal around the edge of the diaphragm with some Fernox LS-X jointing compound, should be an easy 1/2hr to 1hr job.

Also fit a relay between pressure switch and pump motor to prolong the electrical life of the pressure switch.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks for those suggestions, Pete.

Would a 10 amp relay be OK, do you think, or is it worth going up to 20?

Thanks for those suggestions, Pete.

Would a 10 amp relay be OK, do you think, or is it worth going up to 20?

Best get a standard car relay with the 1/4" blade connections.

They're usually rated 30A or 40A and can be had from Ebay cheaply or Halfords, motor factor for a few pounds:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories-/131090/i.html?_sop=15&_nkw=12v+relay+-bulb&LH_PrefLoc=1

A quick check with a multimeter will show which are the coil connections if it isn't printed on the body. The higher current rating means the contacts should be fairly meaty and will last pretty much forever switching a ~6A pump. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Best get a standard car relay with the 1/4" blade connections.

They're usually rated 30A or 40A and can be had from Ebay cheaply or Halfords, motor factor for a few pounds:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories-/131090/i.html?_sop=15&_nkw=12v+relay+-bulb&LH_PrefLoc=1

A quick check with a multimeter will show which are the coil connections if it isn't printed on the body. The higher current rating means the contacts should be fairly meaty and will last pretty much forever switching a ~6A pump. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

OK, great.

Something for the boat that doesn't cost a fortune! Amazing.

• 2 months later...

I originally tried to tighten a couple of accessible screws when I first found the problem, but they seemed reasonably tight. Having read your post I manhandled the pump into a better position, and tightened all the screws. Some were not tight at all.

The frequent drip has now reduced to a very occasional one, which is a result. I have placed a bowl under the pump, and the situation should be under control until the Jabsco arrives next week.

Thanks for all suggestions.

My shurflo gradually leaking more. I hesitated to take it apart without having any backup pump to hand. I read this and thought I'd just tighten up the screws that bit more and the pump not dripping. I think I'll consider what to next next as a replacement and buy it before the pump packs up completely .... we have had it for six years.

Since replacing my Shurflo, I have stripped it down. I have to say that (leaks apart!) it seems well-made and in very good condition. I will reseal using jointing compound as SmileyPete suggested, and then retain it as a spare.

So if you have one, my suggestion would be to detach it, check the sealing, and re-fit it. Then do that every year or so. I am sure it will then last for years.