Dried wood and peeling varnish around windows inside

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi The wood on our window cills and frames has peeling varnish and feels dry and quite faded. Is it best to sand and re-varnish or is there something better

I used a wax like stain on a cupboard once and wondered if something like that or a wood oil would be better than varnish

Any tips appreciated

Mine were the same when I bought my boat. I removed all the varnish by sanding and then applied lots of coats of teak oil unitl I got a silk finish.

This needs a little fresh teak oil now and again, especially if there has been some condensation.

Personaly I think it looks better than varnish, and it doesn't peel.

• 2 weeks later...

I find Danish Oil is the best. Lasts longer and looks better. Just rub down and apply.

Echo that.

Needs lots of coats to get a good finish (it's very thin).

That was after I bought some very posh Yacht Varnish, which said it was not suitable for outside or sunny use - go figure.

Anything near water will fade - there's no magic answer...

Most treatments are good. The one to avoid is polyurethane varnish. Most interior wood is fine with a satin PU varnish but of course it doesn't like UV light and this is why it has cracked on your window frames. Once it cracks any condensation from the windows can get under it...

If you sand the frames and decide to revarnish rather than use oil, then try a good yacht varnish or perhaps Le Tonkinois.

Edited by blackrose

If it's hardwood trim you could try darkening the faded wood with a spirit based wood dye in a dark shade like mahogany. I've found Colron Wood Dye Deep Mahogany works well, can double check the tin when get back to boat tomorrow.

For a a protective finish there's also solvent based protective woodstains like Sikkens Cetol HLS and Sadolin Ultra, I've used Cetol HLS Teak which works well without much further darkening.

There's also hard wax oils as used on tables and floors though I don't know how well they handle UV.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete