Making a dinette

StoneHenge

Featured Posts

We have a 62 foot boat on which live two adults and two kids full time, one more child at the weekends. The boat has three cabins, one with two fixed singles either side, one with a moveable double (which we made into one single for the baby), and one double (with the toilet water tank under it).

So from stern to bow we have, cabin one (two fixed singles), toilet, cabin two, storage cupboard and shower/toilet room, cabin 3, galley, saloon.

We want to take the present seating out which is fixed with under seat storage as it was when it was a hire boat, and replace this with a sofa and bean bags, plus room for a multi fuel stove at some point.

There was a fixed table in the saloon (it didn't slot out on legs like most do it was screwed down), but we moved this as it left limited space to pass out into the bow.

This now means we have to eat on trays which is not my preferred method with the kids as they can get a bit messy at times.

So our options are as follows:

Have a fold away table which we just get out for dinner, but this could be difficult with eating from a sofa without chairs and there isn't the room for both.

Have a sofa one side of the saloon, moveable bean bags on the other for the sprogs, then have a fold up table on the wall and use as a sort of 'breakfast' bar arrangement.

3, convert our cabin into a diner/bedroom, but having to incorporate some design into the fact that we have the waste tank there for the toilet, so at least one bit would need to be fixed.

Anyone got any bright ideas (other than selling the kids) that we could do, or where you could get such a table arrangement that would work?

Advice appreciated!

what about a boatmans cabin table that folds up to the wall when you aren't using it? Not sure how you would work this out with the sofa but you could also have a table on desmo legs that you put up and use fold away chairs for non-sofa sitters?

My thoughts would be not to convert your room if you can help it (unless you don't liveaboard, but I think you do) - it will feel too much like camping.

Is there an option to make part of the kitchen a bit of a breakfast bar?

I doubt any of this is much use so here's a virtual beer for you!

:angry:

I have a neat piece of equipment that I was going to use in my boat but did something else instead.

Its a table that has a mechanism attached. Pull a lever underneath and it swings down to make the middle of your bed, or just swings up for a table. It clicks neatly inplace and takes a few seconds to turn table into bed or visa versa. The top is knackered, so it needs a new top but the mechanism is perfect.

I paid fifteen quid for it, so its yours for the same if you want it. I live near Wolverhampton.

I'll sort out an image if your interested.

Have a fold away table which we just get out for dinner, but this could be difficult with eating from a sofa without chairs and there isn't the room for both.

00136155650926455361982092369717557716917.jpg

Do you have room for this the four chairs fold and fit inside.

I have a neat piece of equipment that I was going to use in my boat but did something else instead.

Its a table that has a mechanism attached. Pull a lever underneath and it swings down to make the middle of your bed, or just swings up for a table. It clicks neatly inplace and takes a few seconds to turn table into bed or visa versa. The top is knackered, so it needs a new top but the mechanism is perfect.

I paid fifteen quid for it, so its yours for the same if you want it. I live near Wolverhampton.

I'll sort out an image if your interested.

Yamanx

Sounds like a gizmo that I could use if you want rid and no other takers.

Can you post an photo please

Cheers

Geoff

sounds perfect for me too!!!!

Sounds to me like it probably came from an Adria caravan.

Yes, quite a clever contraption. Looks like Yamanx should start an auction.

(Had an Adria, that was the second caravan we killed).

Sounds to me like it probably came from an Adria caravan.

Yes, quite a clever contraption. Looks like Yamanx should start an auction.

(Had an Adria, that was the second caravan we killed).

or post beautiful pictures so we can all make our own!? :angry:

Great bit of kit but don't think it would fit mine.

(Auction over !! )

Cheers anyway

OK all, I am going to have a go at making a dinette but first I need to do the seats. Can anyone tell me the depth of the seat on theirs and the angle the back is at - if any.

I shall then continue with my usual efforts and traul around the skips until I find some suitable materials and then have a go at it and keep you all posted. I don't have any woodworking tools, and don't intend to have any so it will be very simple, but hopefully highly efficient and stylish in a rustic fabulous way.

Seat first though, then other seat, then the table! I shall have to practice mechanisms for the latter using my meccano.

I shall then continue with my usual efforts and traul around the skips until I find some suitable materials and then have a go ... it will be very simple, but hopefully highly efficient and stylish in a rustic fabulous way.

I like your style :angry:

Rescued our beech worktops from the kitchen company's skip on our trading estate. Unfortunately, everything else they chuck out is plastic faced chipboard.

Note to self: Must update build log.

Watch that space, seats approx. 14 inches high (plus 4" upholstery), back approx. 7°

I like your style :angry:

Rescued our beech worktops from the kitchen company's skip on our trading estate. Unfortunately, everything else they chuck out is plastic faced chipboard.

Note to self: Must update build log.

Watch that space, seats approx. 14 inches high (plus 4" upholstery), back approx. 7°

don't forget seat depth and width... 7degrees - hmmm... a protractor might be hard to find in a skip - I like the approx though!

I am looking forward to an update of your build blog - I always enjoy a read of it!

Wow,

Thanks for the wonderful response as always. I like the idea of that table yamanx. I will have a word with hubby tonight and see what he thinks.

All the ideas seem good. Ideally, it would be nice not to have to convert our bedroom as we do live aboard. One thing we did think of was having a fold up table that attaches to the back of the kitchen unit that separates the galley from the saloon that folded away to look like part of the wall (I must draw a picture to show you the layout, which might help you bright sparks see what I mean).

Right, I'll go and do that before I say anymore.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Right back with a pic.

How do I add it as an attachment?

We have a table simular to the one bottle posted, which i have taken photos of for another thread.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...indpost&p=54865

Its works quite well, you can get 4/5/6ish round it confortably for a full meal.

- Only downside i can see is in term of day-use, where you've obvously lost functionality by having just the one fixed sofa.

- However, you could have your bean bags to place on the floor, which could be lifted out of the way for meals?

imgp20007ow.jpg

imgp19998fq.jpg

imgp20027mj.jpg

As for attaching an image, asuming its under 1.5mb in size, head over to imageshack, host the image there, and the copy and paste the "for fourms (1)" link and place that in your post. Vollia

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

don't forget seat depth and width... 7degrees - hmmm... a protractor might be hard to find in a skip - I like the approx though!

I am looking forward to an update of your build blog - I always enjoy a read of it!

You don't have to find a protractor in the skip, Mort, I have approximately 1 gazillion of the blighters in the store cupboard due to an ordering cock-up by our beloved technician (Ordered 30 protractors, received 30 outers each containing 144 protractors). I'll cough up the 10p it'll cost myself; send me your nearest bridge number and it's on it's way.

Jill

PS I can help with the upholstery if you need any!

We have a table simular to the one bottle posted, which i have taken photos of for another thread.

Its works quite well, you can get 4/5/6ish round it confortably for a full meal.

- Only downside i can see is in term of day-use, where you've obvously lost functionality by having just the one fixed sofa.

- However, you could have your bean bags to place on the floor, which could be lifted out of the way for meals?

imgp20007ow.jpg

imgp19998fq.jpg

imgp20027mj.jpg

As for attaching an image, asuming its under 1.5mb in size, head over to imageshack, host the image there, and the copy and paste the "for fourms (1)" link and place that in your post. Vollia

Daniel

I've got a dining table just like this in my flat (from the days I lived in a bedsit) And it's great because it folds up so small and all the chairs fit inside it.

We use it all the time and fold it away to give us more space in our living/dining room.

I recommend it! And it's on castors so it's easy to move around.

I've got a dining table just like this in my flat (from the days I lived in a bedsit) And it's great because it folds up so small and all the chairs fit inside it.

We use it all the time and fold it away to give us more space in our living/dining room.

- I recommend it! And it's on castors so it's easy to move around.

Yeah, there good arnt they.

- Ours has had its casters removed for us of the boat and replaces with a block of wood, which is far more suited to use on boat.

- It also has a catch to secure the top RH corner to the wall, to prevent it falling over in the case of a side impact, such as slightly missing a lock mouth, etc.

But yes, its very flexable, and folds down very small. We have also on occation carryed it out onto the towpath for a BBQ or the like.

Daniel

there are lots of caravan cushion sets, some new, some used, some tatty! on ebay right now,

I don't know if anyone read my warning about old foam cushions. Please be very careful. Just a spark or a cigarette can create a smouldering hole in the foam that produces the most awful toxic smoke. No wonder there is strict legislation about new furniture cushions and upholstery.

imgp20007ow.jpg

imgp19998fq.jpg

imgp20027mj.jpg

Daniel

Daniel,

I'd like to get something similar. Any idea where these can be purchased?

Paul.

Been a little beaten to it...

Ours acctaully came via an add my grandad receved with a bank statement many years ago. Said add/stament arivved on the day he was in the middle of designing the saloon, and as luck would have it he glanced the the add long enough to realise it would be perfect!!

Ive seen them a number of time since, but they all seam to have curved leaves at the moment.

-Ill have a google around and see what else i can find for you.

edit: Found this.... http://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/piece-fo...tml?cPath=4_113

Daniel

Edited by dhutch