Makes 2 litres

INGREDIENTS

¼ tsp brewer's yeast

225g caster sugar

1½-2 tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger

Juice of 1 lemon

1 good tbsp honey

METHOD

Add the yeast to the bottle* (see warning below). With a funnel, pour in the sugar.

Mix the grated ginger with the lemon juice and honey.

Pour the ginger mixture through the funnel into the bottle. Now fill the bottle about ¾ full with water, put the cap on and shake the bottle until all the sugar is dissolved.

Top up the bottle with water, leaving a 2.5cm gap at the top, to allow for production of gas. Cap the bottle tightly, then place it somewhere warm. Leave it for about 48 hours. Once the bottle feels very hard and has no give in it, your beer should be ready.

Place the bottle in the fridge for several hours to stop the yeast working. Once the beer is thoroughly chilled, pass it through a fine sieve and serve.

»»»use plastic bottles«««

Guest wanted

It's really that simple?

Will you report back after you've tried it please? Thanks! :cheers:

I will indeed, I have a hydrometer as well so I can test the strength, I'm after about 8 / 9 % if poss. Well, if you're gonna have a drink....... :cheers:

Guest wanted

I have been reliably informed that 48 hours is enough but plan on leaving half for longer. Letting off gas every now and the (ahem) I have it all near to the stove and there is loads of sugar in it so I am hoping for a bit of turbo action. I am using youngs white wine yeast but I have heard that bakers yeast works as well.

I'm a bit scared to go to bed tonight....... One of the bottles just creaked. :cheers:

This is VERY interesting!

I'll try it shortly and report back too....

That's the spirit! If all goes to plan I feel that this summer is going to be cheap and fizzy! Perfect :cheers:

Edited by wanted

I have been reliably informed that 48 hours is enough but plan on leaving half for longer. Letting off gas every now and the (ahem) I have it all near to the stove and there is loads of sugar in it so I am hoping for a bit of turbo action. I am using youngs white wine yeast but I have heard that bakers yeast works as well.

I'm a bit scared to go to bed tonight....... One of the bottles just creaked. :cheers:

Have a stiff drink before you go to sleep,and pretend it is november the fifth..

:cheers:

I think if I was back in Brentford I would be scared to :help: perhaps it will be best to set your alarm every 3 hours. Happy days :cheers:

Guest wanted

I think if I was back in Brentford I would be scared to :help: perhaps it will be best to set your alarm every 3 hours. Happy days :cheers:

:cheers: Brentford has it's charms I think! Alarm set, hard hat on!

It's really that simple?

Will you report back after you've tried it please? Thanks! :cheers:

Yes. You have to be clean with everything but I used to make this as a kid, weeeell b4 you were thought if, until my mum found kut it was alcoholic. Then I got stopped!

But the safer way is to ferment in an unpressurised container, like a demi johnny, and then decent inti bottles with a little suger in to restart fermentation and give it a little fizzz not a booooom

It's really that simple?

Making alcohol is simplicity itself: all you need is some form of sugar in solution, and a yeast.

Sugar is broken down by the yeast into carbon dioxide and alcohol, and the yeast multiplies (hence Marmite - the brewers in Burton used to shovel the extra yeast over the wall into the factory).

The tricky part is making the brew palatable, whatever the ingredients - that, and leaving it to mature for long enough!

Jelunga is spot on about the need for scrupulous cleanliness.

Guest wanted

Well,

I squeezed the bottles this morning and they are a lot tighter than yesterday so I presume something is a happening!

I will return home later with caution!

Guest wanted

Been wondering about this all day - have you still got a roof/windows/all your eyes?! Sobriety?

All is good at the moment, the bottles are tight as a drum, will let some fizz out tomorrow evening if we are still in one bit! :cheers:

River Cottage recipe for Ginger Beer Here

Similar to the recipe above I suspect, but using a separate brewing vessel (AKA Bucket)

The one I am trying is from river cottage. He's a pratt but I always get good results from his recipes.

Guest wanted

»»»»»Ginger update«««««««««

So, I have just 'racked off' a litre of the brew and tested it with the hydrometer, an impressive 5.5%! And it tastes wonderful.

I am released some of the gas from the rest and plan on leaving it for a week longer.

Coupled with the company codamol I am on for my rib I may have staggered upon the ultimate pain relief!

»»»»»Ginger update«««««««««

So, I have just 'racked off' a litre of the brew and tested it with the hydrometer, an impressive 5.5%! And it tastes wonderful.

I am released some of the gas from the rest and plan on leaving it for a week longer.

Coupled with the company codamol I am on for my rib I may have staggered upon the ultimate pain relief!

I was thinking about how it was going as we had the police helicopter flying over Hanwell last night????

5.5 is good and if it tastes nice is promising but it’s the next morning that interests me :wacko: