Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

I was going to ask if pharmaceuticals were a perk of the job.

;)

I was thinking about how it was going as we had the police helicopter flying over Hanwell last night????

5.5 is good and if it tastes nice is promising but it’s the next morning that interests me :wacko:

Yes, a full test will be conducted in time, no explosions as yet, time will tell. :cheers:

Guest wanted

Brilliant :) Have been meaning to try this for a while - may give your recipe a go.

Are there any storage issues? Eg temperature?

I have my burner on low at the moment, just to take the chill out of the air, I put the bottles about two feet away, on the floor. I guess if it were really hot the process may be a bit quicker. I definitely recommend using plastic bottles as they build up phenomenal pressure.

We're making another 12 litres tomorrow. (all in the name of science don't you know!) but I think I may use a bit more ginger, I prefer it a bit more firey. :cheers:

Guest wanted

So you've sampled it then?

How's the head?

Well, I had about a litre last night and all is good, I feel a bit sluggish but that's normal! I will increase the dosage and report back! :cheers:

Guest wanted

So, I have yet to taste anymore, I'm trying to wait for the weekend. I did however make some more on Sundays but used baking yeast as it was all I had. Glad I used plastic bottles. In three days they got so big the bottles rolled over where the base had expanded!

I've let some pressure off and will see how strong it is on Saturday.

How's yours Leni?

Pre expansion 52333110150679533405668.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by wanted

Guest wanted

mmmm baking yeast that’s a new one on me but then everything about this ginger beer is all new.

If you go to Wilkinsons in Hounslow at the back of the small shopping centre they sell home brew kit.

I know it well but just grabbed what was close, seems to be doing it's job.

How's yours Leni?

Still too fizzy to get a good S.G. reading! We keep loosening the lid to let off some pressure, and every day the bottle gets as hard as a rock again! :lol: Tasted it today and it's still a bit too sweet, so we'll leave it a bit longer and hopefully it'll get even more alcoholic! ;)

Guest wanted

Still too fizzy to get a good S.G. reading! We keep loosening the lid to let off some pressure, and every day the bottle gets as hard as a rock again! :lol: Tasted it today and it's still a bit too sweet, so we'll leave it a bit longer and hopefully it'll get even more alcoholic! ;)

Fantastic, Bring on the Ginger revolution! :cheers:

Guest wanted

God help you if they explode over that carpet wanted! :cheers:

A small price to pay for such important research. One small ruined carpet for man, cheap volatile booze for mankind! (and womenkind as well) :cheers:

• Greenie 2

OK, I start mine today.

I'm planning to use some of those bottles you get for buying draft beer to take home. They've got pressure release caps so I'm guessing it won't get very fizzy, but it might save me worrying about the carpet (if I had one).

I haven't got any honey - is it vital?

And I'll be using Allinsons baking yeast.

Guest wanted

OK, I start mine today.

I'm planning to use some of those bottles you get for buying draft beer to take home. They've got pressure release caps so I'm guessing it won't get very fizzy, but it might save me worrying about the carpet (if I had one).

I think those bottles will work a treat. I don't think that the honey is important, just adds a little flavour.

Good luck and report back. :cheers:

ETA, the baking yeast I am using seems to be working faster....

Edited by wanted

OK, I start mine today.

I'll be your 'honey' if your wanting one! :blush: :blush: :blush:

(Honey is just a form of sugar - - if no honey - increase the sugar proportionately)

We've just bottled our ginger beer / wine. It's still a bit fizzy, but it's in small bottles and in the fridge now, so if it goes on fermenting it should do it very slowly! The final S.G. reading was around 10 so it's a bit high for a beer, but a bit low for a wine. And it's Yummy! :lol:

Larger quantities will be produced next time. Oh yes! :cheers:

Guest wanted

We've just bottled our ginger beer / wine. It's still a bit fizzy, but it's in small bottles and in the fridge now, so if it goes on fermenting it should do it very slowly! The final S.G. reading was around 10 so it's a bit high for a beer, but a bit low for a wine. And it's Yummy! :lol:

Larger quantities will be produced next time. Oh yes! :cheers:

Fantastic work Leni, if you strain it into clean bottles and put a spoon of sugar back in, it should re carbonate in a couple of days. 10% is pretty good I reckon. Enjoy :cheers:

I think those bottles will work a treat. I don't think that the honey is important, just adds a little flavour.

Good luck and report back. :cheers:

ETA, the baking yeast I am using seems to be working faster....

It is sitting by the fire gently snoring...

I will indeed, I have a hydrometer as well so I can test the strength, I'm after about 8 / 9 % if poss. Well, if you're gonna have a drink....... :cheers:

It is important to give these several flushes through with clean water if you have been using them for testing boat batteries, before you actually use them for your beer testing.........

It is important to give these several flushes through with clean water if you have been using them for testing boat batteries, before you actually use them for your beer testing.........

And to wash the paraffin out of your funnel...