Paddington Basin Helix / Corkscrew Bridge

NickF

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if the Corkscrew or Helix Bridge at Paddington basin is due to be repaired or indeed if it has ever worked. I have been to Paddington Basin a few times this year (only once by boat) and wondered whether boats would ever have access to the inner basin ... I think there are mooring rings there so i guess the plan is for boats to go through the bridge.

Nick

Does anyone know if the Corkscrew or Helix Bridge at Paddington basin is due to be repaired or indeed if it has ever worked. I have been to Paddington Basin a few times this year (only once by boat) and wondered whether boats would ever have access to the inner basin ... I think there are mooring rings there so i guess the plan is for boats to go through the bridge.

Nick

Yes it has worked. I have pics and a video of it in operation. As far as I remember there were problems with the interlocking mechanism. Vandalism of the large curved glass panes was also an issue. The helix does not seem to have been used for at least a couple of years now. There were plans for a central cafe rotunda in the middle of the inner basin with moorings around it, this is something that seemingly will not be done so the helix has no purpose now.

The outer basin was also supposed to be enlarged too, providing a v shaped basin on its northern side.

Plans here: http://www.richardrogers.co.uk/work/all_projects/paddington_basin_masterplan

I wouldn't have thought that the inner basin will have boat access as the folks who have paid £2m for the penthouse flats are hardly going to want coal smoke and scruffy liveaboard boats as the view from their front rooms............

popcorn maybe

edited to add, The canal basin as it stands is finished, the V shape could not happen now as there isa building there, and the M&S offices have changed from the original design as well. I would say that the present sales suites will either be coverted to a restaurant, or removed for extra green space.

I

Edited by matty40s

From BW:

"...regarding the part of Paddington Basin at its “eastern end”.

The area of water you refer to is leased out to Paddington Basin Business Barges Ltd, a company in which BW is a 505 shareholder. It is envisaged that this area will become an area for static boats and for use by a canoe club. One of the reasons that the area cannot be used at present is that the helix bridge is out of service and will cost a considerable sum of money to repair. Ultimately the developers of the new scheme in that part of the Basin, called Merchant Square will be replacing that bridge with a new lifting bridge will be capable of being opened, to allow boats to enter that area."

From BW:

The area of water you refer to is leased out to Paddington Basin Business Barges Ltd, a company in which BW is a 505 shareholder. It is envisaged that this area will become an area for static boats and for use by a canoe club. One of the reasons that the area cannot be used at present is that the helix bridge is out of service and will cost a considerable sum of money to repair. Ultimately the developers of the new scheme in that part of the Basin, called Merchant Square will be replacing that bridge with a new lifting bridge will be capable of being opened, to allow boats to enter that area."

Thanks for the reply John it was reading your blog that got me thinking about the bridge in the first place! I visit the area quite frequently now as my daughter has just rented a flat nearby. I will watch developments with interest but it sounds like it might be a while!

Nick

Nick

I raised this point with BW when the bridge was first put in about mooring as it effectively removed a lot of moorings and was told it would be used for special events. I said it will never see a boat again

From BW:

Isn't it a brand new bridge? If I were the owner I'd be contacting the designers/builders.

Another case of bullshit design. http://www.lusas.com/case/bridge/helix_bridge.html

Edited by blackrose