Solo locking

Featured Posts

If, when solo handling, it is accepted that the handler should take a centre line ashore when working through a lock – how do you cope when the lock entrance is covered by a bridge?

If you take a line ashore the bridge prevents you from hauling the boat into the lock.

If you allow the boat to motor into the lock under idling revs, you are left without a line to the boat.

Seems to me that the only option is to use that lovely iron ladder with it’s wet, slippery, slimy rungs. How do you other solo handlers cope with covered entrances?

Peter

ae1usp.jpg

Deptmore Lock, Staffs & Worcs.

Edited by Guest

If, when solo handling, it is accepted that the handler should take a centre line ashore when working through a lock – how do you cope when the lock entrance is covered by a bridge?

If you take a line ashore the bridge prevents you from hauling the boat into the lock.

If you allow the boat to motor into the lock under idling revs, you are left without a line to the boat.

Seems to me that the only option is to use that lovely iron ladder with it’s wet, slippery, slimy rungs. How do you other solo handlers cope with covered entrances?

Peter

ae1usp.jpg

Deptmore Lock, Staffs & Worcs.

27800[/snapback]

You have already answered your own question, you climb up the ladder with windlass and end of rope in your hand. Except for the odd lock when there is no ladder which leaves you the gate!! Believe me, I have done that in the past

Some years ago I spent the night in Ellesmere Port boat museum prior to cruising the Manchester Ship Canal the following day as part of a convoy. A couple of the staff spent some of the evening moving the MSC dumb barge Bigmere across the complex to the big lock to be ready for leaving early in the morning.

I had always wondered what the purpose the winch is which was always fitted on these barges, well those two chaps moved that big heavy craft through several locks and low bridges, squeezing past all kinds of obstacles one of them stayed on the bank tying the line to bollards along the route as the other operated the winch, it all looked very easy.

Several times it was necessary to pass the line below low bridges usually at the tail of the locks, the guy casually put half a dozen coils on the line while standing on the bridge and then threw it down-wards, having done so he turned around and approached the other parapet were he was met by the line coming up from below, catching it he carried on to the next bollard. All very impressive. I have tried it myself since, it is not easy.

Edited by John Orentas

It's been done on the telly!

It was in one of the early "Waterworlds" the lock keeper did it at one of the crossover bridges at Foxton,

It looked easy ( always does when an expert does it)

Hi. There's also taking a boat hook ashore with you and hooking the vertical rope through from the other side of the bridge. Think I read that in 'Going Solo' by Colin Edmondson. I haven't tried it myself, but climb the slimy ladder instead - yuk!

I reckon if I coiled and looped the centre line over the end of the tiller, I could snag it with my boat hook (it's a lightweight telescopic one for river use, retrieving lines from the water etc). I'll certainly try it Carrie, but only when I have my OCM on board to rescue the situation!

:unsure:

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

When im entering a lock 'single handed' (after my grandad has opened the gates and walked on to the next lock) i drive in, knock the engine off, and take the center rope ashore with me.

Then if im going down in a narrowlock, i just leave the rope on the ground as i operate the lock, just for good mesure, then i open the gates, climb down the ladder, and go to next lock.

Going up (in a narrow lock) i climb up the ladder with the center line, tie the center line around the bottom gate beam and open the first ground paddle, then i run back to supervise the rope fo a while, tigtening if needed it as the boat rises, then i raise the 2nd paddle a bit later, al depeding on the lock in question, and how strong the currents are etc.

Daniel

Then if im going down in a narrowlock, i just leave the rope on the ground as i operate the lock, just for good mesure, then i open the gates, climb down the ladder, and go to next lock.

Ah! Dan you'r the one that never closes gates then. :unsure:

Edited by Big COL

• 1 month later...

It makes extra work for boats in both directions.

Only if the next boat along is going in the opposite direction, of course :D

If you are following someone, and turn up with the lock against you, it's actually quite nice not to have to go and shut the gates - particularly if it's a broad lock.

Actually, several of the locks on the Grand Union main line near our base require that the lock is always left empty, (or at least emptying...)

That's because if you don't the basements of the lockside cottages fill with water - I know this because my brother used to be a local lengthman for a while, and hence lived in one, and sometimes had to don wellies indoors.

If you are "going up", it's actually quite a pain to have to get the top gates shut, and go and draw a paddle before moving on.

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm new to this really, but I have been closing gates after me, because I thought it was expected of me (and there were some BW notices to the effect). But its an annoyance when you are single handed, meaning you have to tie up the boat twice.

Anyone following you would have to jump off and do the paddles anyway, so its not a major inconvenience for them to also close the gates. Plus I have moored up to close the gates, only to see them drift open again once I have continued on my way... I'll continue to close the gates as I go, but I can see myself easing off on this particular bit of etiquette...

Edited by Breals

When I am on my own (or if my misses is busy with the kids - 5mths and 2yrs) I try to close gates where it's practical without roping up again. E.g. if going down and there are steps, I almost always close going up.

One of the biggest problems is sluices, you can't control the boat on the exit and have to keep going, on a flight it's okay as you can walk back ...

I always make an effort to close both sets of gates on the ends of long pounds - I wouldn't want to be responsible if there was a problem. Middlewich is a pain for this as the locks are really deep and slimey, I pull the boat out and jump on, the ladders are minging.

However, if you do leave them open - expect a mouthful from someone behind later in the day or expect people to look at you in pity like you have no partner and no mates - I often get 'shame, are you all on your own?'

When I am on my own (or if my misses is busy with the kids - 5mths and 2yrs) I try to close gates where it's practical without roping up again. E.g. if going down and there are steps, I almost always close going up.

One of the biggest problems is sluices, you can't control the boat on the exit and have to keep going, on a flight it's okay as you can walk back ...

I always make an effort to close both sets of gates on the ends of long pounds - I wouldn't want to be responsible if there was a problem. Middlewich is a pain for this as the locks are really deep and slimey, I pull the boat out and jump on, the ladders are minging.

However, if you do leave them open - expect a mouthful from someone behind later in the day or expect people to look at you in pity like you have no partner and no mates - I often get 'shame, are you all on your own?'

Yesterday I had eight broad locks all gates left wide open by a crewed boat whose identity I dont know, except a sketchy description by some electrical workers of a boat with several crew on board passing by half an hour earlier. Of course I had to close all gates before I could use the locks. i am of the opinion that this closing of gates is a myth because when people like myself do close all the gates and then find crewed boats aint even arsed about shutting any of them why should I bother. Thats it I am not bothering anymore. BW are defintely increasing the licences - so I'll consider it the job of their staff to close them for me if I am single handed.

Edited by fender.

Why do people get into a lather about whether the gates are left open or shut? It's swings and roundabouts. You have to tie up if the gates are closed irrespective of whether the lock is with you or not, in order to open them. Usually the lock is only partially full or empty so paddles have to be raised, all taking time etc. At least if the lock is with you and the gates are open you can go straight in without tying up and opening gates. Yes it is a pest if the lock is against you, and you have to walk round the lock to close gates, but on balance less time is used if gates are always left open, That is why the working Boatmen always left them open.

Because you are treated like a criminal by some Johnie come lately boaters these days, I now leave gates closed, but I would love to return to the former practice of Gates open, paddles up.

I don't accept that the handler should take a centre line ashore in a narrow lock, going up hill. With practice it's possible to let the boat drift into the lock coming to rest gently against the cill, having stepped off the stern at the bottom of the lock. If tickover is really low, I should think she can go in under gentle power, but careful control of the paddles (keeping an eye out for potential "help") can keep control of her.

If it speeds up too much you can also slow the boat down using the gate (if you are gentle). This is apparently how solo lockers have always done it (I got a long lesson once of an old boater in locking).

If I go up I leave it in gear, going down I now tie the boat to the bottom gate so it stays off the cill, it's easy once you get used to how much slack to leave for lock depth - I open one paddle if I'm on a flight then walk down and set the next lock and open the gate, then pull the boat out, jump on and go straight into the next lock, walking back sometimes to close the previous gates :D

I knew that post would put the cat in with the pidgeons !

It is true what david sais, in the working boat times gates were left open, and paddles up, because in the long run that is the most efficient way of working, it takes alot of thinking about, uphill, down hill, boats following, approaching, ect, ect, but that is the way they work, full stop. Closing the gates throws a spanner in the works, and causes extra work for everyone.

If you close gates, a boat approaching will have to stop, tie up, to open them, and possibly, usually, draw a paddle as well, when they could have gone straight in, that's two or three extra bits of work, a boat following will have to empty the lock anyway, giving the top gates a shove is no big deal, but it ensures there are empty locks, with gates open for everyone, and you save work.

Edited by onionbargee

Yes, but they leak.

If the upper gate leaks quite badly and the gates are left open too much water is lost.

Although I am guilty of leaving them open, especially when going down (Up is not too much of a problem to close them) and there is nowhere to tie up, and the water is too shallow at the edges so I end up beaching the boat six foot from the edge and getting stuck for ages, and end up sweating and swearing with a pole, and then leave the blimin gates open anyhow as I couldnt get off the boat. Just leave 'em. :D

I don't accept that the handler should take a centre line ashore in a narrow lock, going up hill. With practice it's possible to let the boat drift into the lock coming to rest gently against the cill, having stepped off the stern at the bottom of the lock. If tickover is really low, I should think she can go in under gentle power, but careful control of the paddles (keeping an eye out for potential "help") can keep control of her.

I'm only 30' long and 9tonnes displacement so she moves about quite alarmingly if left without any centre line.

60' and 17tonnes will not be quite so quick to to go charging up the lock with the surge from the paddles - and a 60 footer has only got a max of 12' to go anyway.

If I'm at the bottom going up and the surge catches her without a line, she's going at a hell of a rate by the time she hits the top gate, 42' later!

Peter

Edited by Guest