Silly Fridge Question hoping for sensible answer

sueanddaren

Featured Posts

I have a 12Volt fridge, make unknown, all it says on the front is "the Fridge". It has a Danfoss compressor and I have all the instructions for setting up the low voltage cut off etc. But all I want to do is put a new bulb in so that when I open the door I can see if Im going to be drinking bitter or cider. Truble is I can't work out how to get at the bulb. I realy can not work it out, Ive had at least 5 goes and taken over an hour on one occasion but still can't work it out. Even had the electrican from the boat next to ours have a look, 30 minutes later and 2 cans less and he gave up. If anybody out there has one of these fridges and knows how to get at the bulb please, please can you tell me.

I await a thousand silly suggestions from everbody else.

Daren

I have a 12Volt fridge, make unknown, all it says on the front is "the Fridge". It has a Danfoss compressor and I have all the instructions for setting up the low voltage cut off etc. But all I want to do is put a new bulb in so that when I open the door I can see if Im going to be drinking bitter or cider. Truble is I can't work out how to get at the bulb. I realy can not work it out, Ive had at least 5 goes and taken over an hour on one occasion but still can't work it out. Even had the electrican from the boat next to ours have a look, 30 minutes later and 2 cans less and he gave up. If anybody out there has one of these fridges and knows how to get at the bulb please, please can you tell me.

I await a thousand silly suggestions from everbody else.

Daren

Try gelegnite it usually works or sod the fridgebulb and get one of those new LED stick on lights, or altenatively has the fridge got more than one shelf? if so Upper shelf for beer lower shelf for cider freezer for Gin Vodka etc

Any Help/ No I didn't think so

Regards Stuart

Sometimes these type fittings are sprung clipped and grip when pushed in, squeasing in the right place might release it, but guessing you've tried every which way. Are there any tiny slots or pin holes visible, sometimes these if evident are there to push a tool in to hold back the springs pushing in a small screwdriver tip or pin would release the springs.

Sometimes these type fittings are sprung clipped and grip when pushed in, squeasing in the right place might release it, but guessing you've tried every which way. Are there any tiny slots or pin holes visible, sometimes these if evident are there to push a tool in to hold back the springs pushing in a small screwdriver tip or pin would release the springs.

No slots, no pin holes already thought of that one. There is some writing near the switch saying 15watt max but the switch is on the front of the ice box and more than 8 inches away from the bulb cover.

Daren

No slots, no pin holes already thought of that one. There is some writing near the switch saying 15watt max but the switch is on the front of the ice box and more than 8 inches away from the bulb cover.

On my mains fridge you pull out the tray under the freezer compartment and it's 'behind' the temperature dial, by reaching round the back of where the dial is.

Don't forget to buy the appropriate wattage and voltage bulb.

cheers,

Pete.

On my mains fridge you pull out the tray under the freezer compartment and it's 'behind' the temperature dial, by reaching round the back of where the dial is.

Don't forget to buy the appropriate wattage and voltage bulb.

cheers,

Pete.

Thanks Pete, but Ive tried that, had to pull the whole fridge out so I could open the door far enough to slide the tray out but still no way to get at the bulb.

Daren

Did you look at the outside of the fridge, there maybe a removable panel, where the bulb lamp is.

ps. I do not know your fridge just a stabbed in the dark.

Edit: for twitchy fingers.

Edited by bottle

Did you look at the outside of the fridge, there maybe a removable panel, where the bulb lamp is.

ps. I do not know your fridge just a stabbed in the dark.

Edit: for twitchy fingers.

No I didn't, good idea. Will try at the weekend when I go down to take the photos.

Daren

It looks very like one I used to have. It was a while ago but IIRC you had to pull off the round knob, then the whole of the plastic bit on the right (the plate carrying the switch and the wiring) would drop downwards after you'd squeezed it in the right place, revealing access to the bulb.

It looks very like one I used to have. It was a while ago but IIRC you had to pull off the round knob, then the whole of the plastic bit on the right (the plate carrying the switch and the wiring) would drop downwards after you'd squeezed it in the right place, revealing access to the bulb.

Can you be a little more exact on the "squeezed it in the right place"?

Daren

SANY8026.jpg

SANY8023.jpg

SANY8025.jpg

Photos at last! Anyone recognise it??

SANY8020.jpg

This is a LEC carcass as used in my 1999 Ranger 12v Danfoss compressor fridge (expired and dumped back home in the garage)

I have just been out and removed the bulb cover.

I had trouble with the switch, the front panel is as good as impossible to remove. The thermostat is mounted onto the little front panel. To remove this front panel you have to put a small flat screwdriver in the two little slots on the LH side of the panel and push in some little lugs. The other side is even worse to remove, to have to lever the panel to disengage a leg that fits into the inner lining.

This will NOT give access to the bulb, only the switch and thermostat.

To get access to the bulb you have to use a srewdriver to lever into the side of the frosted plastic lamp cover (the long side, facing into the fridge, it only clips in to the front and back), then get your finger under it and un clip it from the back flange.

Good luck...I did not break mine!

This is a LEC carcass as used in my 1999 Ranger 12v Danfoss compressor fridge (expired and dumped back home in the garage)

I have just been out and removed the bulb cover.

I had trouble with the switch, the front panel is as good as impossible to remove. The thermostat is mounted onto the little front panel. To remove this front panel you have to put a small flat screwdriver in the two little slots on the LH side of the panel and push in some little lugs. The other side is even worse to remove, to have to lever the panel to disengage a leg that fits into the inner lining.

This will NOT give access to the bulb, only the switch and thermostat.

To get access to the bulb you have to use a srewdriver to lever into the side of the frosted plastic lamp cover (the long side, facing into the fridge, it only clips in to the front and back), then get your finger under it and un clip it from the back flange.

Good luck...I did not break mine!

Thanks Neil, I just could'nt believe that the cover would be so difficult to get out and I did'nt want to break it and then find that there was a much easier way. Looks like Im back to the boat this weekend armed with a screw driver, a bulb and with my fingers crossed. Bet mine has gone brittle and snaps.

Thanks again

Daren

Thanks Neil, I just could'nt believe that the cover would be so difficult to get out and I did'nt want to break it and then find that there was a much easier way. Looks like Im back to the boat this weekend armed with a screw driver, a bulb and with my fingers crossed. Bet mine has gone brittle and snaps.

Thanks again

Daren

It is only a flat bit of plastic, if it breaks you could make a new one out of, say a Ferro Rocher plastic box. :lol:

Mrs TNC has recently scoffed a few of these, after the TNC juniors remembered Mothers Day, she gave me the useful little plastic box (rather more useful than those awful sweets)