Tony Gallimore Boats Ltd

Biggles

Featured Posts

If you want chines this one got chines!

wbc.jpg

And if you wont to see a really big broad beam with chines you can watch one being built on the web cam here-

http://www.ledgardbridge.com/html/livecam.html

This is a still from the web cam so it will refresh every time the page reloads-

webcam.jpg

Biggest boat ever built on the Calder & Hebble so she's a bit of a record breaker! :lol:

Could I point out that a V-bottomed hull is a single chined hull

A flat bottomed, vertical sided hull is a two chined hull.

The one in Gary's photo is a four chined hull (or is that a "v", making it a five?)

Naw! I think its a flat bottom, the crane has picked it up on the squiff.

Tony.

It was a trick of the light!

Do you maintain stick welding below the waterline and CO2 above?

Tony

BTW I thought you didn't work on Fridays!

We still stick them all including the narrowboats inside and out below the water line.

Most builders would laugh their socks off at us for still doing it this way in the age where MIG welding equals speed and that equals savings.

But a lot of customers still seem to appreciate it and the old time welders will still tell you it's got better penetration and strength than MIG.

On the Fridays sketch no one on the shop floor does work but I am still contracted to a 5 day week so while I wait for them to finish a boat and have some electrical work to do then I am twiddling my thumbs doing all the jobs no one else wants to do!

Hi Gary, double sticking sounds like hard work to me surely the preferred method is 45 degree chamfer to each plate butting up with a small air gap to ensure complete penertration?

V welds in stick are used on flat baseplates.

bwc.4.jpg

bwc.5.jpg

bwc.6.jpg

Chined ones are a bit more complex needing a weld to both faces, you can't lift it up and turn it over so you have to lay it over to one side and get into the gap to weld it.

bwc.3.jpg

The base plate is then welded inside and out to the side sheets and dye penetrant tested to prove it's integrity. (Testing is another practise from the past that seems to have fallen out of favour with builders these days.)