Perkins Engine 3.152 Spluttering and Stalling

sirweste

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Cheer Biz.

Previous picture was of the new pump, the rough marks are from a machine op to make the contact face flat I assumed.

The last picture shows the wear mark on the old pump, contained only to the upper portion of the flatted section.

I've arrived at the same conclusion as your post. I'm gonna crank the engine over to where the lobe is most proud (in the direction of the pump) then space the pump out. Then crank it over and feel if its pumping. 

Also gonna speak to Rollo power again, very helpful guys and they may have access to a drawing showing if there's indeed a spacer - so the guy thought.

Oh, yer had a look inside and cranked it over by hand feeling the cam. Nothing is wrong in the engine

That was dangerous cranking it over with your finger in there.  :o

Ah, English failed me there. Unfortunately I couldn't reach the ignition switch and get me finger in th'ole, so I cranked the engine over by hand, while feeling the cam.

Another point I've remembered and reason why the pump hasn't been destroyed by being installed too close to the cam:

If the pump installed with the cam lobe rotated away from the pump, the arm is relaxed by about 20%, so it does a tiny amount of pumping

6 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Ah, English failed me there. Unfortunately I couldn't reach the ignition switch and get me finger in th'ole, so I cranked the engine over by hand, while feeling the cam.

Another point I've remembered and reason why the pump hasn't been destroyed by being installed too close to the cam:

If the pump installed with the cam lobe rotated away from the pump, the arm is relaxed by about 20%, so it does a tiny amount of pumping

So now you think the pump is standing off too far and the lever is hardly getting moved at all??. If so it must be the wrong pump and or lever. You could alter the lever to reach further in I suppose . The lever looks tubular? You could get someone to put a nice blob of braze on the the end where it contacts  the eccentric. They would need to wrap a wet rag around the base of the lever to stop heat transfer damaging the rest of the pump. It needs to be done quickly with oxy-acetylene and not blow torches like propane which are far too slow and would heat up the whole pump. The blob of braze can then be gently filed and smoothed to fit.

21 minutes ago, sirweste said:

No sorry, that's not what I mean at all.

With the cam lobe engaging the pump arm, it's pushing the arm beyond the maximum, with the arm off the lobe it's at out 80% stroke of the pump.

Ok, so it looks like your back with experimenting with spacer washers.  When you were feeling the cam could you feel a decent amount of eccentricity? You could hold say a pencil in the slot up against the cam and turn the engine to roughly gauge its eccentric throw.

Yer could feel some, nowt like a lobe for a valve obviously. Tried to measure by feel how much it was pinching me finger against the block. It felt like enough to actuate the pump. 

Gonna call Rollo at dinner, if they can't come up with a proper block / thick gasket, then I'll play with washers and then perhaps get something printed up in 3D at work

Yer I had an inadequately sized lump of old rubber in me tool box that I’ve manage to make work. The extra spacing has sorted it out so that the thing actually has some throw now. 

In addition it only needed the tiniest squirt of easystart to get it up and running, so previously I think it’s been running without a lift pump basically. 

Keeping the old pump, I think it’s likely still operable. 

Dunno if it’s in me head but the engine definitely seems to be running smoother right now

cheers for the replies

17 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Yer I had an inadequately sized lump of old rubber in me tool box that I’ve manage to make work. The extra spacing has sorted it out so that the thing actually has some throw now. 

In addition it only needed the tiniest squirt of easystart to get it up and running, so previously I think it’s been running without a lift pump basically. 

Keeping the old pump, I think it’s likely still operable. 

Dunno if it’s in me head but the engine definitely seems to be running smoother right now

cheers for the replies

If that rubber isn't hard rubber the pump could rock on the studs and bust something.