Thrupp Progress

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

In 2010 when we owned Annies tea room here at Thrupp the powers that be decided to " Improve " things by turning the lift bridge that had worked perfectly for 200 years by pulling down on a chain into a mechanical/electrical key jobby. The result as always was chaos and many break downs and myself being an unpaid waterways bod placating people whilst my business suffered. We moved away in 2011 to do other things. Today I am back moored at Thrupp passing through and ...............Bridge is buggered and has been now for 3 hours. CRT bod cant fix it so has left and there is no CRT presence but bridge is switched off. Summer holidays in a busy area with boats piling up both sides of the bridge :banghead:

Unbelievable. Did CRT bod say what happens next? Surely he should have stuck around until someone with an ounce of brain matter arrives to explain.

We suffered a broken down electric swing bridge on the K&A. We opened it, went through and it wouldn't close. Called CRT and was told the chap would be forty five minutes. I said why is he on his lunch hour, they said no he's in Newbury. Now Newbury was and probably still is, twenty minutes away maximum. They asked if we could wait at the bridge. We agreed. You don't half get some irate car drivers who can't get across a canal. Chap arrives 60 minutes later. I asked if he was having a lunch break? He said yes. Well thank you very much you dipstick. He opened up the casing and flicked a switch. It worked. I asked why can't that switch be accessible to boaters with a key? Or call for a code. He shrugged his shoulders. (They were very sloping shoulders).

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bridge is buggered and has been now for 3 hours. CRT bod cant fix it so has left and there is no CRT presence but bridge is switched off.

He could at least have left it locked in the UP position. 

Nobody important would be inconvenienced and boaters could get on with their hols...

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

He could at least have left it locked in the UP position. 

Nobody important would be inconvenienced and boaters could get on with their hols...

He couldn't get it to lift. There are several crt bods here now and bridge has just been lifted!!

24 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Perhaps he was a senior manager, they obviously know nowt judging by recent performances.

How many CRT bods does it take to open a bridge? 

About ten today ?. In fairness we are moored and didn't want to go through. We have been on the move since march and only been held up for one hour lower down the Oxford and about an hour an a half at one of the Thames locks so cant complain at all. Still cant make our minds up where to winter?