Batteries...

Gra73

Featured Posts

Hello People,

A question for the winter months when daylight is limited, and mooring is slightly hindered by overhanging trees. 

I have solar, which currently maintains the batteries, the fridge/freezer which is 12v and the rest of the 12v things; lights, pumps etc. For any 240v electronics I use I can connect to shore power (I do also have an inverter for the same when on the cut)

My question is for keeping the batteries topped up, fridge etc, during the winter, what kind of ‘plug in charger’ and what output should I be looking to buy, I saw this on eBay but I’m fairly new to boating so am not sure whether 20amp is enough to maintain 1x starter and 4x(new) domestic batteries.

I know I can run the engine to keep everything topped up also but I still want the charger as an option for when I don’t run the engine.

Thanks very much in anticipation 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20A-Connect-and-Forget-Leisure-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat/122314362986?hash=item1c7a81106a%3Ag%3AqMYAAOSw7I5Tw788&_sacat=169485&_nkw=boat+battery+charger&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l2632.R3.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xboat+battery+charger.TRS0

Sizing a charger depends on how you want to use it. If you want to use it to charge from a generator, you want a fairly big one to avoid endless generator running. 20A would be too small IMO. But if you want to plug it into the mains and leave it on 24/7 then 20A is quite adequate. As to that specific charger, it is not a well known brand and so you are taking a bit of a shot in the dark with it. Superficially it looks fine.